Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Talonos

Default Can you combine cone, bombardment, and ROF 2+?

I want to model an attack that sprays an area down with a very high number of small projectiles. It seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be to make a cone shaped bombardment attack and give it a ROF modifier, so if the "attack" rolls well enough, the person could get hit with multiple projectiles. Is this legal?
Talonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Can you combine cone, bombardment, and ROF 2+?

Not by RAW - Cones and Jets are prohibited from having RoF.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
vierasmarius

While not RAW, I'd consider allowing it. It certainly matches the way cinematic "shotgun" attacks work in games and movies.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
While not RAW, I'd consider allowing it. It certainly matches the way cinematic "shotgun" attacks work in games and movies.
I don't see it. I'm having trouble visualizing how cone, bombardment and rapid fire would even work together at all either game mechanically or in sfx.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't see it. I'm having trouble visualizing how cone, bombardment and rapid fire would even work together at all either game mechanically or in sfx.
Under normal Cone + Bombardment rules, each target in the area has a chance to be hit once. I picture adding Rapid Fire to this would make it like a Claymore mine: a spray of multiple fragments over the entire area. I suppose the closest-to-RAW you could do is have a Fragmentation effect limited to a 30° arc... that already includes the ability to hit multiple times based on the margin of success.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I picture adding Rapid Fire to this would make it like a Claymore mine: a spray of multiple fragments over the entire area.
What's the difference between that and suppression or fragmentation?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What's the difference between that and suppression or fragmentation?
The difference between this and normal fragmentation is it would be the primary attack mode, rather than an addition to an explosive attack. It would also be easier to modify the range, area of effect, and effective attack skill (as per Cone and Bombardment) and could deliver any damage type, not just cutting/ burning.

The difference between this and suppression fire is that it can only be used in this way (though that could be easily done with an Accessibility limit on a normal Rapid Fire attack), can have a higher base attack skill and can be more easily modified to cover different areas.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Talonos

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking: something that works kind of like fragments, but in a cone shape originating from the user. If I wanted to be RAW, I might be able to find a way to make a fragmentation attack that only goes in a specific arc, but the fragments spread from the point of impack, meaning I would need there to be a target, meaning that I would have to lower the range to a single yard, or perhaps make it a melee attack that hits the "air" in front of it and produces fragments in that arc. It seems far less of a stretch to just apply ROF to an attack.
Talonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
vierasmarius

There seem to be two main differences between how Bombardment and Fragmentation attack rolls are handled. With Bombardment, the attack roll is made for each target in the area, without any modifier for range, and success delivers a single hit. With Fragmentation, the attack roll is penalized for range, but inflicts extra hits equal to the margin of success. So how much would it cost to transfer the mechanics of a Frag attack roll onto Bombardment? Perhaps we just need to make a new enhancement with the effects we want. Any idea on an appropriate value for it?

Tags
bombardment, cone, rate of fire, rof