Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Michael Cule

Default What can you buy to help in Climbing? Perks, Techniques etc

I'm running a TL3 Fantasy game in which the characters are going on a quest up the world's highest mountain. Not all the way to the top since I wish to avoid issues with oxygen...

Does anyone know of techniques or perks (apart from what's in the core book) to help augment their chances of making it safely all the way to the top. Perks and Techniques especially?

Many thanks!
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: What can you buy to help in Climbing? Perks, Techniques etc

Well, you need to start with the moderately cinematic Team Efforts rule from Pyramid #3/70, also found in Action 2: Exploits and Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons. Your best climber rolls her skill for the group, at -1 per party member who doesn't have at least a point in the skill. They need to be roped together with the best climber leading, and it would be good for them to have practiced a bit.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Bruno

I've allowed Catfolk to buy a "Climbing Claws" perk (claws count as basic equipment for Climbing skill on any surface where they're helpful, but require climbing bare handed and bare footed to gain the bonus/lack of penalty).

It's just as balanced if you describe it as a mildly cinematic "Spider guy" affinity for climbing, or as a magical/druidic perk with supernatural origins.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
McAllister

Clinging, Does Not Eat or Drink, Does Not Breathe, Flight, Super Jump, Stretching, Arm ST, Tunneling, Innate Attack (pitons), Hyperspectral Vision, Temperature Tolerance...

There are lot of things to buy to help climbing.

EDIT: in the interests of being constructive, can you be more specific about what the character's you're thinking of might need help with?

Last edited by McAllister; 10-27-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Remorse
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

There's Climbing equipment in Low-Tech and DF 16: Wilderness Adventures. LTp98 says boots custom-made for Climbing can give +1 to skill, LTp125 lists lots of equipment. DF16p18 has an axe modification that gives +1 to Climbing for mountaineering.

Edit: High-Tech p55 has more detail about how to climb with ropes and belaying and points out that a complete Fine quality set of Climbing equipment can give +1 to skill.

If your best climber has Climbing-14, Team Effort and a bunch of money on equipment should be able to get them to a group Climbing skill of 16. Failures mean a fall, unless they are belayed, and giving them another skill roll for belaying seems reasonable. That should get them up a mountain (which are generally +0 to Climbing), if they can cope with the cold, carry all the supplies they need (Climbing takes encumbrance penalties) and so on.

Dan Simmons' recent novel The Abominable describes an attempt to climb Everest in the 1930s, well enough to set off my fear of heights. It's worth reading as research.

Last edited by johndallman; 10-27-2014 at 06:13 PM.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I've allowed Catfolk to buy a "Climbing Claws" perk (claws count as basic equipment for Climbing skill on any surface where they're helpful, but require climbing bare handed and bare footed to gain the bonus/lack of penalty).

It's just as balanced if you describe it as a mildly cinematic "Spider guy" affinity for climbing, or as a magical/druidic perk with supernatural origins.
Cats' claws really only help when they can penetrate what they're climbing. For rock / hard soil climbing, blunt claws are best.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
Balor Patch

I suppose Flexibility, Perfect Balance, Terrain Adaptation (ice & snow) are out of scope.

How about these from DF11:35?:
Advantages: Lifting ST 4 (Only for climbing, -60%) [5] at level 2.
Perks: Sure-Handed (Slippery) [1].
Techniques: Scaling (H) Climbing [4].
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

S.O.P.s, I imagine. Such as remembering to carefully affix pitons, check stability of foot and handholds when under the stress I think might be common in adventure settings.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #9
Michael Cule

Giving them advantages at this stage is out.

They are a bunch of inexperienced people (in climbing at least) who have been sent on a Quest to the Creator's Seat which is halfway up the Tallest Mountain in the World. They have a deadline (before spring comes) and not enough enchanters to make anything magical in time.

There are two mages on the journey, one more experienced than the other. They have enough time to learn a few spells.

The references to Low Tech and Action are all golden.

I'm a bit surprised there aren't more Perks and Techniques.

I don't think they've got anyone in the village with Survival Mountains. Hmm, let me think...
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #10
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
They have enough time to learn a few spells.
There's a spell called Climbing, which has no prereqs and gives a bonus to Climbing.
If the mages have at least Magery 1, Levitation is the way to go with only one spell prerequisite (Apportation). Slow Fall is a nice fail-safe. Make sure the caster is in the back so he can cast Slow Fall quickly on anyone who loses grip and starts to fall.
Slide is great for getting down the mountain.

Flight is of course the ultimate spell for getting around, but a lot of energy to maintain. The same, to a lesser extent, for Wallwalker and to a greater extent for Hawk Flight.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote