Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
Rowan

Default Question: Soda Pop and Post-Apocalypse.

So I've got a question .. let's say the big one hits.. Apocalypse. The kind doesn't really matter, I suppose. Let's say a group of scavengers are digging through an old super market.. and in one of the collapsed back storage rooms, they find a big pallet of shrink wrapped soda pop (aluminum cans of soda). How long can a product like that stay viable and safe for humans to drink?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Question: Soda Pop and Post-Apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
So I've got a question .. let's say the big one hits.. Apocalypse. The kind doesn't really matter, I suppose. Let's say a group of scavengers are digging through an old super market.. and in one of the collapsed back storage rooms, they find a big pallet of shrink wrapped soda pop (aluminum cans of soda). How long can a product like that stay viable and safe for humans to drink?
It will take 9 months for the carbonation to leak out of canned soda with the seal intact. In ten years or so there's a good chance of bacterial, yeast, or fungal contamination.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It will take 9 months for the carbonation to leak out of canned soda with the seal intact. In ten years or so there's a good chance of bacterial, yeast, or fungal contamination.
....and some artificial sweeteners will turn into methanol even before that. Not that anyone post-apocalypse would be likely to _want_ low calorie products.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
9 months the shelf life, so it probably retains carbonation for several times that length of time. Unless something corrodes through the can, not sure how you'd get living contaminants in there, I rather doubt they can permeate through aluminum.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
9 months the shelf life, so it probably retains carbonation for several times that length of time. Unless something corrodes through the can, not sure how you'd get living contaminants in there, I rather doubt they can permeate through aluminum.
Simply put, they probably came in while the can was being filled before it was finally sealed. Unless this was a futuristic setting where soda cans are filled and sealed in a clean room. Right now, they aren't.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
The preservatives in food inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi. However, they do eventually break down, which then allows even a single bacterium to become billions.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
VulpesFulva

I dunno, but I have a 50-year -old unopened bottle of Coca-Cola somewhere in my house....
VulpesFulva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
That's way off. I accidentally drank a couple cans of soda that, while still having their fizz, were horrific tasting. They were a couple of years old.

The taste, I'm sure, was due to them being diet Pepsis. Aspartame turns horribly bitter and a hint sour not much longer than accepted shelf life. And much sooner if they are exposed to high temperatures or light.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Not to mention that cans lacking much oxygen, such microbes would have to be anaerobic, and tolerant of low pH.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
....and some artificial sweeteners will turn into methanol even before that. Not that anyone post-apocalypse would be likely to _want_ low calorie products.
Why, did you kill off all the diabetics in your post apoc. setting?