Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Nereidalbel

Default Alternative Ability Sets?

If I want to have a character who changes ALL of his abilities to a new set, including his ER, should I buy each set under on parent item and apply Alternative Ability to the entire thing, or is there a better way to do it?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Jerander

Default Re: Alternative Ability Sets?

Sounds like Alternate Form, to me.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

That seems a bit odd for somebody who changes power sets, but does nothing to their appearance.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Jerander

Alternate Form has little to do with changing appearance and more to do with changing advantages, disadvantage, features, quirks, etc. Ability sets are usually composed of those. Appearance changes, unless tied to an advantage/disadvantage, is merely "fluff".
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

I was going to try to keep it to one character sheet, but I guess just buying some Alternate Forms would be cheaper than entire ability sets...
Old 04-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
PK

Alternate Form does not require an appearance change. It may seem weird to use a Shapeshifting advantage for what is essentially a mental/spiritual change, but the mechanics of said trait work perfectly for it.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
munin

Although AF may not require an appearance change, I think it's priced based on that assumption -- 15 points to be able to change your appearance with no other trait changes.

My understanding of the reason that you pay only 90% of the difference in template costs is that those extra traits have an implied "Accessibility, Only in alternate form, -10%" limitation. If you're not actually changing your form, you can simply apply that limitation directly based on some other switchable trait (a HUD perk can be a good choice).

But buying one set of abilities at full price and the other sets at 1/5 cost seems more restrictive than the house rule (#15) used recently for Simultaneous Spells (Pyramid #3/63, p. 5) of buying multiple alternative abilities at full price in order to use more than one at a time. You may not have bought the N most-expensive abilities, but you bought the most expensive set, and are then restricted to only using certain sets of abilities rather than being able to choose freely among the abilities. Seems fair.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Although AF may not require an appearance change, I think it's priced based on that assumption -- 15 points to be able to change your appearance with no other trait changes.
Rather, "15 points to be able to change your racial template to another racial template of the same or lesser cost." AF (Dog) costs the same as AF (Human) if the Dog template comes out to [0] or less given that the Human template is arbitrarily priced at [0].
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Going with Alternate Form, what would be a proper limitation value if I could only swap power sets if I can draw from the source for a given set? Drawing in smoke, draining a neon sign, etc?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Going with Alternate Form, what would be a proper limitation value if I could only swap power sets if I can draw from the source for a given set? Drawing in smoke, draining a neon sign, etc?
Do you mean source as Powers defines it? The kind of requirements you mention sound like Environmental.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate form, shapeshifting