Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #1
JulianLW

Default Skill-Based ST for Psionic attacks?!

Hey, y'all!

I was looking at Generic Universal Eggplant's "Mind Blade" power, here:

https://enragedeggplant.blogspot.com...ind-blade.html.

This feature of the power caught my attention:

Quote:
It is wielded with the Force Sword skill, but for the purpose of damage use your Mind Blade skill instead of ST....
So I started to try to track down where this skill-based ST rating came from in the rules. Since the Mind Blade is built using the Natural Weapons rules (which may be somewhat problematic for some folks), I looked at Pyramid 3/65, "Natural Weapons," by Ítalo Gomes Gonçalves, where I found this power:

Quote:
Telekinetic Push: Natural Weapon (Crushing; Cannot Parry, -40%; Cone, 5 yards, +100%; Double Knockback, +20%; Hidden, +20%; Intangible, +50%; No Blunt Trauma, -20%; No Wounding, -50%; Power Modifier, Psychokinesis, -10%; Projected, +50%; Ranged, +100%; Swing-Capable, +20%) [17]. Notes: If you are using GURPS Psionic Powers, damage and range can be based on the psionic skill (instead of ST) as a special effect. 17 points.
So then I looked at GURPS Psionic Powers - and I can't find the source of this "special effect" anywhere. Am I missing it? I think it's pretty cool, but did Gonçalves just make it up?
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Skill-Based ST for Psionic attacks?!

Sounds like something that was made up by the author of the Pyramid article, but I don't have Psionic Powers to check and see if you may have just overlooked something.

I will note that canonically basing an effect (such as damage) on a different attribute seems to use the same pricing as basing a success roll on a different attribute, and the "Skills for Everyone" guidelines from Powers suggests allowing any attribute roll to be replaced by a skill roll; combining these factors may well be the justification for basing damage off skill.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:47 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
So then I looked at GURPS Psionic Powers - and I can't find the source of this "special effect" anywhere. Am I missing it? I think it's pretty cool, but did Gonçalves just make it up?
It comes from Pyramid #3/69: Psionic II, p. 18. I created it. Originally, I had it sitting at +20% per level, but PK and I both agreed that it should be lower. Thus it was +10% per level.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:20 PM   #4
Plane

since there is already an option to sub Will for ST to determine Basic Lift, I'd say it's not farfetched to allow a trained will-based skill

Tags
psionic powers