Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Scopes, Railings, and Options Idea...

If a pistol was made with a generous amount of railings (for instance, railings on the top, bottom, and both sides) would it be possible to put regular, infrared, and adjustable scopes on the three visible sides? It would be silly, but would it work?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #2
Kale

Default Re: Scopes, Railings, and Options Idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
If a pistol was made with a generous amount of railings (for instance, railings on the top, bottom, and both sides) would it be possible to put regular, infrared, and adjustable scopes on the three visible sides? It would be silly, but would it work?
It's possible to do, and in fact some weapons do have three or four rails on them. Even pistols can have several. However, if the weight of the accessories attached to the rails approached the weight of the pistol I would consider increasing the Bulk of the weapon by 1 or 2. For your triple scope combo I'd say +2 bulk, which works out to +1 additional bulk per scope past the first one.
On a rifle or other long arm the added weight would be proportionally lower, but rifle scopes are also larger and more cumbersome, so I'd still add +1 bulk per scope after the first. Exceptions might be made for really compact scopes with low magnification on a rifle, but not on a pistol.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 AM   #3
Kale

Here's some entertaining examples. The rifles have so much crap on them you can't actually see the firearm part:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4ccdded418.jpg

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/...htupmylife.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...fa597ccff8.jpg
Old 08-08-2016, 02:43 AM   #4
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Here's some entertaining examples. The rifles have so much crap on them you can't actually see the firearm part:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4ccdded418.jpg

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/...htupmylife.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...fa597ccff8.jpg
Thanks, you make me wanna roll a Mall Ninja character. That **** would be hilarious. In a cinematic setting, I guess it would count as Gadget dependent Rapier Wit because the enemy would be too busy laughing to do anything else.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:10 AM   #5
Tallor

I was thinking that one could use one scope for Range X and another for Range Y. This is assuming the wielder has absurdly high skill in Guns, of course.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Thanks, you make me wanna roll a Mall Ninja character. That **** would be hilarious. In a cinematic setting, I guess it would count as Gadget dependent Rapier Wit because the enemy would be too busy laughing to do anything else.
Take the Tacticool perk, it'll be worth the investment.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
clu2415

If you are talking about a pistol, your useful range is short enough you really don't need multiple sighting systems. A good red dot will work for as far as you care to shoot. A setup you see on rifles is to have a 3x magnifier that swings to the side, so you can add magnification to your red dot when you need it.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
If you are talking about a pistol, your useful range is short enough you really don't need multiple sighting systems. A good red dot will work for as far as you care to shoot. A setup you see on rifles is to have a 3x magnifier that swings to the side, so you can add magnification to your red dot when you need it.
In reality a scope on a pistol does indeed not normally make sense. Most people can see their targets well enough at pistol combat ranges and at longer ranges pistols are not really appropriate.

But! In GURPS technical terms is always makes sense to have a large scope value if you have enough time to aim due to the way GURPS models range penalties and scopes. So in that way having a reflex sight for tactical shooting and a scope with high magnification for aimed shots would make sense GURPS rules technically.

Say you are in an ambush scenario where you think an opponent will come though a doorway at some point at 30 yards and have an accuracy +2 pistol.

So with "aim and wait" and bracing with the reflex sight you are at +2(acc)+2(extra aim)+1(brace)+1(reflex sight)-7(range)=skill-1 to hit.

But switching to the (silly in real life) 32x scope you would replace the +1 with a +5, making the skill roll base skill+4... Thus an average person(DX 10) with no skill would hit 50% of the time and with one point would hit 90%..
Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
Anaraxes

I expect you could only use one scope at a time. If "would it work" means that you can stack the bonuses from all the scopes, I'd say no. You can't look through all three at once, and much of the benefit would be redundant anyway. If that phrase means you can use any one of them as appropriate for the environment, then I'd allow it.

Presumably the scopes have to be zeroed for the side that they're mounted on, so you can't rearrange them without recalibrating. You won't be able to holster the thing with attachments on every side, so you'll need to improvise a way to carry it. And the Bulk would go up.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
So with "aim and wait" and bracing with the reflex sight you are at +2(acc)+2(extra aim)+1(brace)+1(reflex sight)-7(range)=skill-1 to hit.

But switching to the (silly in real life) 32x scope you would replace the +1 with a +5, making the skill roll base skill+4... Thus an average person(DX 10) with no skill would hit 50% of the time and with one point would hit 90%..
Scope bonuses for accuracy can never go beyond the base weapon accuracy.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun accessories, help me out here, pistol, railings