Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Stripe

Default [Magic] 1001 Standard Magic Items

Hello!

I thought I would start another one of my collaboration threads.

If anyone is interested, post up some magic items using the standard rules in Magic. One of the goals of this thread is to create a list of handy statistics for useful and interesting magic items with only the bare minimum in the way by hand waving effects or "creative interpretations" of the standard rules-as-written.

For the purpose of the thread, assume:
  • GURPS Basic Set, Magic, Fantasy, Low-Tech, and Martial Arts;
  • Standard Magic rules;
  • Typical TL3 fantasy setting with plentiful wizardry;
  • $1 per energy point to 60 -- $33 per energy point past that;
  • Include cost of materials in the item's cost.

In GURPS Third Edition, it was RAW that any item could be enchanted with any spell. The items in the spell description were only suggestions. Very unfortunately, that single sentence didn't make the Fourth Edition cut. But, if you feel like disregarding the item type listed in the spell description, you may do so.

You can use whatever format you wish, but I'm going to use the following template:
Code:
Item Name: 
Item Type: 
Description: 
Price: (Total fair market value)
Materials Cost: 
Enchantment Cost: 
Enchantments: Name (Energy, Page)
Function:
Notes:
I'll start the game off! :)

Item Name: Flametongue
Item Type: Longsword
Description: A handsome longsword with a blade wreathed in flame and a ruby set in its pommel.
Price: $77,900
Materials Cost: Longsword (fine materials/balance), $4,900; Ruby, $400.
Enchantment Cost: $72,600
Enchantments: Penetrating Weapon 1 (250, M63); Defending Weapon 1 (500, M64); Accuracy 1 (250, M65); Puissance 1 (250, M65); Name (200, M68); and Flaming Weapon (750 plus a $400 ruby, M75).
Function: Does damage as a longsword (MA227, treat as bastard sword in absence of Martial Arts) at +1 due to fine materials and is wielded at +1 to skill due to fine balance. Its enchantments give it a a +1 to skill to parry with, +1 to skill to hit, and halves most forms of DR. They also give it a +1 to basic damage. If damage penetrates, its flames add +2 to injury.
Notes: The weapon's name, "Flametongue," is etched in its fuller in an ancient, forgotten language.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
tg_ambro

Default Re: [Magic] 1001 Standard Magic Items

In addition to the sources you listed, I'm taking the liberty of using some of the items from DF 8.

Item Name: The Mohawk Hat.
Item Type: Hat, Tall, Winter.
Description: A unassuming old brown beanie.
Price: $49,536.
Materials Cost: $36.
Enchantment Cost: $49,500.
Enchantments: Haircut, Permanent (1,500. M39)
Function: Whenever this old beanie hat is worn, it cuts the wearers hair into the Mohawk style. It leaves the wearer incapable of ever growing any hair outside the mohawk (limited to the head, of course.)
Notes: A great gag item, or an otherwise harmless "cursed" one.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Astromancer

I'll have to repair this posting later, much later, however....

Item Name: Wizard's Travel Cloak

Item Type: Clothing, Adventure Gear

Description: This generally looks like a traveler's cloak of good quality. Spells on the cloak keep the wearer at a pleasent tempature and dry. Ordinary weather phenomea don't effect the wearer. The cloak cleans itself and it's wearer constantly (thus allowing the Mage to have an impressive appearence anywhere). The cloak also keeps all vermine away (fleas,ticks, ect)
Upon saying a name emboidered on the lining, the cloak turns into bedding, rich and comfortable bedding, which like the cloak is always self-cleaning and vermine free. Another name, embroidered on the blankets turns them back into a cloak.

Price: (Total fair market value) I'll have to figure that out.

Materials Cost: You must start with a fine cloak.

Enchantment Cost: I don't have my books with me.

Enchantments: Name (Energy, Page) Unbrella, wards against weather and wind, and inscets.

Function: Warmth and comfort for travelers, and making a better impression when you get there.

Notes: This will need some.

Repairs later.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Phantasm

Item Name: Antipode Shotgun
Item Type: Double-Barrel Shotgun
Description: This seemingly innocuous double-barrel 12 gauge shotgun doesn't fire shells. Instead, it fires a fireball and an ice dagger at the target simultaneously - one effect from each barrel. In fact, it is incapable of using shells, as the barrels have the gems necessary for the enchantment nestled where the shells would be. Alternatively, the user can choose to fire only one of the two enchantments.
Price: $205,800
Materials Cost: Ruby and sapphire both worth $400; Ithaca Auto & Burglar shotgun worth $400.
Enchantment Cost: $204,600
Enchantments: Two Power spells, one at Power 2 (1,000), the other at Power 4 (4,000) (M57); Fireball (800, M188); Ice Dagger (400, M188). Can be further enchanted with Accuracy.
Function: Duh. ;)
Notes: The 1/2D and Max Ranges of the spells are replaced by the Range of the shotgun itself. Power 4 is used to power Fireball, giving 2d burn; Power 2 is used to power Ice Dagger, giving 2d-2 imp. Use Guns/TL (Shotgun) to fire.

Okay, I know I deviated from the plan by using a TL6 shotgun as the base, but this happens to be my all-time favorite magic weapon. This could be the result of someone from TL6-8 arriving on Yrth with a normal double-barrel shotgun, running out of ammo, being unable to replicate the ammo, and enchanting the weapon to keep it usable.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Item Name: Timekeeping Ring
Item Type: Ring
Description: A simple bronze ring (0.1 lbs.)
Price: $520.25
Materials Cost: $6.25
Enchantment Cost: $514.00
Enchantments: Adjustable Clothing (34, p. M59), Alarm (60, p. M100) x8.
Function: Adjusts to fit it's wearer by changing size up to 25%. Vibrates or chimes every three hours. When used in conjunction with a simple timekeeping device such as an hourglass, this item lets someone keep time accurately when at sea for long periods, allowing better navigation than would usually be possible at TL3.
Notes: Cost and weight of the ring from Dungeon Fantasy 8. This item is considerably cheaper than one enchanted with Tell Time ($8,250), although not quite as practical. Cheaper versions may have fewer alarm spells.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Item Name: Courtesan's Bracelet
Item Type: Jewlery.
Description: A braclet of twisted silver wire (0.25 lbs.)
Price: $91,135.
Materials Cost: $345.
Enchantment Cost: $90,790.
Enchantments: Odor (40, p. M24), Presence (700, p. M48), Resist Disease (250, p. M91), Sense Emotion (300, p. M45), Vigor (1,500, p. M37).
Function: Gives the wearer +1 HT, prevents them from spreading any disease they may be carrying, makes them smell of perfume at all times, draws attention to them (double reaction roll modifiers) and allows them to cast the Sense Emotion spell.
Notes: Cost and weight of the bracelet from Dungeon Fantasy 8.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
cbower

Item Name: The Cold Iron Sword
Item Type: Giant Sized Broadsword
Description: A SM +1 Fine quality Thrusting Broadsword enchanted with Ghost Weapon.
Price: $63,150.
Materials Cost: $5,400.
Enchantment Cost: $57,750.
Enchantments: Ghost Weapon at 15 (1,750 energy, page M65.)
Function: Enables the wielder to hit the insubstantial.
Notes: A weapon custom made for a famous Fire Giant warrior who was afraid of ghosts.

Code:
Weapon              Damage    Reach Parry Cost   Weight ST Notes
The Cold Iron Sword sw+3 cut    1     0   $5,400  6.75  15 Fine quality; can strike the insubstantial in normal mana or better
                 or thr+4 imp   1     0    -       -    15 -

Last edited by cbower; 12-10-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Changed the details a bit to bring it in line with LTC 2 and added detailed weapon statistics.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

I'm going to deviate a little, and include some modifiers and enchantments from Dungeon Fantasy. As for the cost of the enchantments, the first number is as per the rules above stated, the second one is with DF8 prices.

Item Name: Bow of the Elven Sentinels
Item Type: Reflex bow
Description: This bow is a work of art. Made from a dozen different differed woods glued together, it's looks are enhanced by being painted in complex patterns of green, replicating foliage. The ribs and contours of the painted leaves are contoured with inlaid silver, and seem to glow as if reflecting the light of the moon. The string is made from unicorn hair. The arrows shot from these bows have an unerring tendency to strike at the weakest parts of the armor, and seem to always seek the heart or other vital organs. These bows are the badge of office of the sentinels that patrol the borders of the elven woods, and their possession by non-elves is looked as proof of murder of a sentinel, since they're almost never sold to outsiders.
Price: $58800/$42600
Materials Cost: $32400
Enchantment Cost: $26400/$10200
Enchantments: Penetrating Weapon (2) (500 energy, p. 63), Quick Aim 1 (100 energy), Vital Seeker +1 (100 energy, DF8, p. 49)
Function: This is a Balanced (+4 CF) Elven (+16 CF) Reflex Bow, Painted (Painting/Enamel, Extensive.) (+5 CF), with silver inlay (Inlay, Expensive, Minimal.) (+6 CF) and Glowing Design (+4 CF). The decorations make it a Decorated +3 item, giving it's owner a +3 to reactions in specific circumstances. The enchantments make give it effective ACC 5 (ACC3, +1 from Balanced, and the first turn of aim counts as 2) if aimed, and attacks made with this bow, targeting the vitals, or the chinks in armor covering the vitals gain a +1 bonus to hit. This bow deals thrust+3 damage, but thrust is calculated as if the wearer's ST was two points higher, and arrows shot from it have armor divisor (2).

Item Name: Greater Bow of the Elven Sentinels
Item Type: Reflex bow
Description: As the Bow of the Elven Sentinels. The outward appearance is the same, except that the leaf motives are distinct, and the enchantments vastly more powerful. Distinguishing both types of bow requires Cultural Familiarity (Elves) or Hidden Lore (Elves). This is the bow of the guard lord of the scouts of the elven kingdoms, and seeing it in non-elven hands will cause automatic hostilities with any elves encountered.
Price: $1095000/$676400
Materials Cost: $32400
Enchantment Cost: $1062600/$644000
Enchantments: Accuracy +3 (5000 energy, Magic p. 65), Penetrating Weapon (10) (15000 energy, p. 63), Puisance +3 (10000 energy, Magic p. 65), Quick Aim 2 (200 energy, Magic p. 65), Vital Seeker +3 (2000 energy, DF8, p. 49)
Function: This is a Balanced (+4 CF) Elven (+16 CF) Reflex Bow, Painted (Painting/Enamel, Extensive.) (+5 CF), with silver inlay (Inlay, Expensive, Minimal.) (+6 CF) and Glowing Design (+4 CF). The decorations make it a Decorated +3 item, giving it's owner a +3 to reactions in specific circumstances. The enchantments make give it effective ACC 6 (ACC3, +1 from Balanced, and 1 turn of aim counts as 3) but it does not gain any further bonus from being aimed, increase the damage by +3, and all attacks made with it get a +3 bonus to skill, plus an additional +3 if targeting the Vitals, or the chinks in armor in the Vitals area. This bow thus deals thrust+6, with thrust figured as if the user's ST was two points higher, and any arrows fired with it have armor divisor 10.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Stripe

Item Name: Staff of the Sun
Item Type: Quarterstaff
Description: A white-colored exotic wood quarterstaff decorated with sunstones, ivory, gold, and platinum, fire etched with runes and topped with a brightly-glowing, egg-shaped amber crystal.
Price: $146,690.
Materials Cost: Quarterstaff (fine materials, presentation), $210; 10-point Powerstone, $1,900; sunstone, $1,000.
Enchantment Cost: $143,580.
Enchantments: Power 2 (1,000, M57); Amulet 4 (resists Strike Blind; 200, M58); Staff (30, M70); Continual Light (on the Powerstone, colored amber) (400, M110); Bright Vision (always on; 200, M111); Dark Vision (400, M111); See Invisible (400, M113); Sunlight (150, M114); Sunbolt (800 plus a $1,000 sunstone, M114); Soilproof (400, M116); Shatterproof (400, M118).
Function: The staff is intended for use by a noble wizard in a position of leadership. It is not intended to be used as a melee weapon in combat to attack or defend.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Purple Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Item Name: Timekeeping Ring
Item Type: Ring
Description: A simple bronze ring (0.1 lbs.)
Price: $520.25
Materials Cost: $6.25
Enchantment Cost: $514.00
Enchantments: Adjustable Clothing (34, p. M59), Alarm (60, p. M100) x8.
Function: Adjusts to fit it's wearer by changing size up to 25%. Vibrates or chimes every three hours. When used in conjunction with a simple timekeeping device such as an hourglass, this item lets someone keep time accurately when at sea for long periods, allowing better navigation than would usually be possible at TL3.
Notes: Cost and weight of the ring from Dungeon Fantasy 8. This item is considerably cheaper than one enchanted with Tell Time ($8,250), although not quite as practical. Cheaper versions may have fewer alarm spells.
What you need for navigation is to determine the difference between local noon and reference noon. Your ring will do the entire planet at +/- 90 minutes. Imagine local variants:

The North Atlantic goes from England at UTC+0 to the US at UTC+5, six alarms at hour intervals gives +/- 30 minute accuraccy.

Seven alarms will do the Mediterranean at +/- 15 minutes.

Edit: Of course "Tell Position" is cheap and precise.

Last edited by Purple Haze; 12-07-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic items