Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #51
Anthony

Default Re: Are Powers Overpriced?

There is a reason other superhero games use point costs for gear. It's really an inevitable consequence of having multiple currencies: if the same general capability can be purchased in multiple currencies, people will make choices about how to buy that thing based on the price and the perceived worth of that currency. Given that GURPS allows having extreme amounts of currency for relatively little money, that usually means buying in currency for things that are available for currency, unless the buyable item is highly inconvenient or the advantage is very cheap (note: eliminating the wealth advantage would cut down on this issue, but doesn't solve it entirely).
Old 08-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #52
AlexanderHowl

Why should a character pay points for something that they can buy at a Wal-Mart? It would be different if the capability is inbuilt, like with biological augmentations or cybernetic augmentations, but if it is just something that is carried, if it can be bought with money, it should not be bought with points (except for Signature Gear if the character wants special protection or enhanced capabilities).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #53
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Why should a character pay points for something that they can buy at a Wal-Mart?
Because it's a superhero game. Superheroes really only use things that everyone uses, or that are part of their personal shtick. In any case, I'm not saying that paying points for gear is the right solution -- I'm saying that having the same ability available for purchase in two different ways will cause problems, and one solution to that is eliminating one of those methods. It doesn't actually matter which method you eliminate, it's just having both is bad.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #54
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
How much would it cost for the power to make your gun invisible and intangible?
If the GM never envisions a situation where a security checkpoint with a metal detector disadvantaging either of the 3D boys then it's a 0 pt feature.

If they both have Legal Enforcement powers then only the security of a criminal enterpriose which they are trying to pentrate undercover would come up. If there will be no undercover work in the campaign (and Supers who would be utterly imcompetent at undercover work are common) then it's not going to come up.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #55
dataweaver

As well, 18 points for 3d pi+ damage is already expensive. Inflating the cost further for things like concealability strikes me as counterproductive
Old 08-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #56
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
As well, 18 points for 3d pi+ damage is already expensive. Inflating the cost further for things like concealability strikes me as counterproductive
The ability to shoot stuff with your finger is already concealed.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #57
Fred Brackin

Quote:
The ability to shoot stuff with your finger is already concealed.
Supers don't conceal their attacks. The attacks glow with a brilliant light and the Super screams "Eat Photon Finger of Death!".
Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #58
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Supers don't conceal their attacks. The attacks glow with a brilliant light and the Super screams "Eat Photon Finger of Death!".
That's when they're using it.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #59
Fred Brackin

Quote:
That's when they're using it.
Is sneaking your super power past security a major factor in supers game in your experience? Not in mine.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #60
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Is sneaking your super power past security a major factor in supers game in your experience? Not in mine.
Walking around in a secret ID with no weapons is. Of course I've never seen much point in designing a super who had powers that did nothing more than match off-the-shelf weaponry.

Tags
powers