Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
lugaid

Default PDF Dimensions

I had been happily using an online POD service to print up a single copy for personal use of the PDFs I buy from W23 (occasionally reprinting new versions when files have been errata corrected or when I want to add more files to a single bound book, but then recycling the earlier copy). However, they require that the dimensions of the PDF be uniform. Most of the files I buy are presented as 8.5x11, but a few have come in 8.38x10.88. Is there any way to get those files in the uniform size? Why is the letter size used for some files and not others?
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: PDF Dimensions

One thing you can do to fix some of these issues is to run the PDF through a PDF Printer such as Bullzip yourself, setting the paper size to 8.5x11.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
lugaid

I'll certainly try it with that application, but I'd already tried that using the built-in "print to PDF" option in the native Windows print spooler and it didn't work, as far as I can tell because it doesn't embed fonts which is something that they need at the POD service, apparently.

EDIT: No luck after using that application as a print to PDF option.

Last edited by lugaid; 02-17-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
lugaid

What would be the best way to bring these questions to the attention of someone who can answer them definitively?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Posting them here is best. You realize that it's the weekend and most employees don't look at these forums during their off hours, I hope.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
lugaid

Hokey smokes! Not working a M-F week does make that slip the mind on occasion. My apologies.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #7
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
I had been happily using an online POD service to print up a single copy for personal use of the PDFs I buy from W23 (occasionally reprinting new versions when files have been errata corrected or when I want to add more files to a single bound book, but then recycling the earlier copy). However, they require that the dimensions of the PDF be uniform. Most of the files I buy are presented as 8.5x11, but a few have come in 8.38x10.88. Is there any way to get those files in the uniform size? Why is the letter size used for some files and not others?
To tackle the easier question first: The reasons files are slightly different sizes is that there are different requirements for files, as our PDFs have changed over the years from various printing needs (offset vs. CreateSpace, etc.) and layout software (Quark vs. InDesign). There's always been a bit of a tension between trying to get PDFs that serve all needs well in all situations, from home printing to professional printing to tablets to screen reading. Hopefully the fact that we don't put any kind of copy protection on our files makes it easier for home users to tweak them as needed.

As to how to get them to an 8.5"x11"...

I don't have any obvious silver-bullet answers. According to this article, on a Mac, the built-in Preview function re-embeds fonts when printing to PDF... so if you have access to a Mac machine, you should be able to set a paper size of 8.5" x 11" and use the "Save as PDF" option from the Print screen.

In addition, it's fairly straightforward to do it in the full version of Adobe Acrobat. Open the file, open the "Page Thumbnails" tab, right-click on a page to get the pop-up menu and select "Crop Pages" from there. Go to the "Change Page Size" section at the bottom, choose "Letter" from the "Page Sizes" drop down, and leave the "Center" box checked and the offset values at default. Under "Page Range," click on "All." Click OK. Save your PDF as a different name so you can revert to the original if need be.

If you don't have either of the computing options handy above but you do have access to a public library, you might contact them and see if they have a usable computer with either Acrobat or a standard Mac.

And if none of those options are usable... maybe some of the posters here have alternate ideas? (We have some really creative and technically savvy customers...)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
I'll certainly try it with that application, but I'd already tried that using the built-in "print to PDF" option in the native Windows print spooler and it didn't work, as far as I can tell because it doesn't embed fonts which is something that they need at the POD service, apparently.

EDIT: No luck after using that application as a print to PDF option.
There are other print-to-PDF plugins that might work better. I've had sufficiently good results with the free version of doPDF that I haven't looked at other options for a few years now.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:21 AM   #9
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
There are other print-to-PDF plugins that might work better. I've had sufficiently good results with the free version of doPDF that I haven't looked at other options for a few years now.
doPDF seems really good at first sight, but I seem to still be having problems getting the files to work with the POD service. I have no idea where to go from here to get it to work.