Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Basic, Powers] Cost issue with Healing Alternative Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There was a claim that AAs of the same basic power are wrong, but the workability of AAs of Afflictions are evidence that isn't always true.
Yes, but, as I said, Affliction's the outlier here, not everything else. In general, I think you're going to run into problems trying to combine Alternate Abilities and the "Only X" sort of limitations. They're just not designed to be used together.

Actually, even Afflictions are probably better built, as Refplace said, with Alternate Enhancements on one Affliction, rather than Alternate Abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman
Diseases: Healing [30], Affects Self +50%, Magical -10%, Diseases Only -40%, Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute (time for basic treatment), -30%, Triggering substance, Common (Woundwort and first aid kit) -20%, 4/day -20%, net cost [9].

When used to cure disease, the subject still has to recover from the symptoms. Healing hit point damage done by the disease works, but doesn’t wipe away symptoms.

Regeneration (Slow), Magical -10% , [9], as an AA of Diseases [2]. These are both abilities that affect the character that has them.

Injuries: Healing [30], Magical -10%, Injuries Only -20%, Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute (time for basic treatment), -30%, Triggering substance, Common (Woundwort and first aid kit) -20%, net cost [6].
Here's what I'd suggest for this build: Both Healing abilities are the same advantage. Put all the shared modifiers on it as normal (that is, Magical, Immediate Preparation Required, and Trigger). Then, total the modifiers for the different "packages" - for diseases, that's Affects Self, Diseases Only, and Limited Use, for a total of -10%, while for injuries, it's just Injuries Only, -20%. Use Either/Or limitations to get a final limitation value of those two of -2%, which I would round up to -5% (smaller Either/Or limitations tend to undervalue the final limitation, I feel, so rounding up is reasonable).

That gives you a final build of
Healing (Magical, -10%; Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute (time for basic treatment), -30%; Triggering substance, Common (Woundwort and first aid kit), -20%; Either Affects Self, Diseases Only, and Limited Use, 4/day Or Injuries Only, -5%) [11]

This, I'll note, is actually cheaper than building it as two separate Healing abilities, so some points are saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman
Can stabilise a mortal wound, at a cost of 10FP.
A question - is the injury healing supposed to be an absolute last resort, "only use this to stabilize a mortal wound" sort of thing? If it is, you could include another limitation, basically the reverse of Capped, where you must spend a certain amount of FP, no matter how severe the wound actually is. I'd price that at -5% for the number of FP past 1 you have to spend, so 10 FP minimum would be -45%, for example.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative ability, healing, magic as powers, powers