Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #51
PresidentTwoeagles

Default Re: A closer look at Explosion Damage

Edit: Bah, wrong thread!

Last edited by PresidentTwoeagles; 11-23-2021 at 04:37 PM.
PresidentTwoeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:40 PM   #52
beetle496

Default BP6 guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
An obvious first challenge is: What numerical value to assign the wrenches? What about special effects like fire and re-roll?
If anything, Wrenches are more valuable than Star — because the player had a choice, and s/he picked weapons which attached value too those die results. But Wrenches are not much more than a Star. Also, 2nd/3rd Wrench results convert to Star. For sake of simplicity, I will be assuming Wrench==Star for Tire/Fire/Blast effects but Slug weapons Wrench==Shield (so a miss, 0).

Re-rolls are a bit more complicated, so i need to think about that a bit more, and maybe work them out exactly. Initially, I had expected to just approximate ‘linked’ with a fixed value, maybe 0.5 per re-roll. But having worked out the math for Linked Jackhammers (BP6, 4.11 mean damage), this first guess of mine was much too high. It very much seems to me that some value might accrue for the perceived “insurance” that a re-roll provides, but is this just merely wishful thinking on my part? Why not just trust the mean? When comparing weapons, does Standard Deviation even matter? If I had a gun that always did 3 damage, is that any better or worse that one which did 1-5 but had a mean of 3 damage? If my opponent’s defense has RNG, and if 3 damage is enough some of the time, I think rationally, mean damage is what I should be paying attention to!

I get exactly 4.5 mean damage for BP6 Auto Cannon (Shred) and Buffalo Gun (Slug).

Last edited by beetle496; 11-26-2021 at 09:44 PM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #53
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

Quote:
If I had a gun that always did 3 damage, is that any better or worse that one which did 1-5 but had a mean of 3 damage?
Whether or not you have (or can plan on having) re-rolls makes an enormous difference for which of these weapons is better in a given situation.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:56 PM   #54
43Supporter

Default Re: BP6 guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
If I had a gun that always did 3 damage, is that any better or worse that one which did 1-5 but had a mean of 3 damage?
Personal Experience: During a NOVA event, someone nailed me with an ATG round.

Damage Rolls: "1", "1", "1".

He was Displeased. :)

(He always had terrible luck with damage dice -- this was the same guy I scored the "one-shot, one-kill" on; two "5"s, one "6", on 3d6.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #55
HeatDeath

This is why the larger numbers of dice, and the fact that they are custom dice, is a /very/ good thing.

Longer tails and gentler curves [and tunable by the game designers, at that!] on the probability distributions.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #56
Sam Mitschke
Chief Creative Officer

@HeatDeath
Thank you. The dice were a challenging process, to say the least. We almost didn't have the blue, black, or white dice, which would have handicapped the game considerably. It was such a late change that some of the folks here may have played a prototype with only red/yellow/green dice. From our work trying to balance everything using just those colors, we had already decided what dice we WOULD add if we ever got the chance. As soon as we got the go-ahead to make the additional dice, we immediately went back and re-balanced everything in the game, and I think it's better for it.
Sam Mitschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #57
NexusGameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mitschke View Post
@HeatDeath
Thank you. The dice were a challenging process, to say the least. We almost didn't have the blue, black, or white dice, which would have handicapped the game considerably. It was such a late change that some of the folks here may have played a prototype with only red/yellow/green dice. From our work trying to balance everything using just those colors, we had already decided what dice we WOULD add if we ever got the chance. As soon as we got the go-ahead to make the additional dice, we immediately went back and re-balanced everything in the game, and I think it's better for it.
I think the game is definitely better for the extra colors! Glad you went that direction!
NexusGameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote