Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-31-2022, 12:36 AM   #11
swordtart

Default Re: Car wars character focus over cars

I added a few generic drugs into the game (pain-killers, amphetamines etc.) and expanded on the Optional Hospitalisation and Medic rules to improve survivability and to enable characters to get back into the game a bit quicker.

I also made death a bit less digital. Death became permanently injured. For the purposes of the combat you were still out of action, but after the action if your friends could get to you within an hour there was a chance you could be saved but with a permanent injury (that ultimately could be fixed with expensive prosthetics).

I preferred this to reliance on whole body cloning.

I also allowed body armour to be made non-ablative at the usual cost/weight adjustments (you need to be using the Alt Encumbrance for this to work). For characters that did much more than sit in a car non-ablative ABV over BA was about the limit. I also had lower DP armour at a proportion of weight and cost so you could have ABD with only one or two points of protection and allowed the suits like IBA to have a some non-ablative panels replacing some of the ablative DPs.

That said the majority of dregs and bandits still took their chances as if you got hit by a VMG (about the entry level of weapon in my games) you might survive a single hit and then you were as vulnerable as if you weren't wearing anything.

The best infantry armour is terrain :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:16 AM   #12
kjamma4

I'd be more interested in a vehicular role playing game where you played the vehicle, not the occupants.

Leveling up puts you in higher divisions.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:18 PM   #13
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
I'd be more interested in a vehicular role playing game where you played the vehicle, not the occupants.

Leveling up puts you in higher divisions.
_CARS WARS_.

OK -- why are all these people wearing Mouse Ears surrounding my house? ;)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:53 PM   #14
juris

Agree - I'd allow the paramedic skill to try and stabilize someone until they were at -10 hits/unreadable to Gold Cross (increasing difficulty obviously). I like the flavor text of giving them a permanent injury until they replace it with a new mechanical or cloned body part replacement. No reason Gold Cross can't make replacement parts :)

You can't make peds immune to damage though - the duel has to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I added a few generic drugs into the game (pain-killers, amphetamines etc.) and expanded on the Optional Hospitalisation and Medic rules to improve survivability and to enable characters to get back into the game a bit quicker.

I also made death a bit less digital. Death became permanently injured. For the purposes of the combat you were still out of action, but after the action if your friends could get to you within an hour there was a chance you could be saved but with a permanent injury (that ultimately could be fixed with expensive prosthetics).

I preferred this to reliance on whole body cloning.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:11 AM   #15
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
OK -- why are all these people wearing Mouse Ears surrounding my house? ;)
It's a small world?
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:16 PM   #16
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Agree - I'd allow the paramedic skill to try and stabilize someone until they were at -10 hits/unreadable to Gold Cross (increasing difficulty obviously).
I have rules for that, as well -- but it's "between combats" stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
It's a small world?
But the real challenge is... TO FIND A WAY OUT! ;)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote