Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Converting D&D classes to TFT characters

I've made some worked examples at how to copy over the themes of the different D&D classes into TFT characters. The exact mechanics differ (look Ma, no gods!), but I've attempted to follow the feel of each class.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/SRD_TFT.html
Old 01-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Converting D&D classes to TFT characters

Thanks for that; these sorts of thought exercises are fun and can be helpful for 'onramping' people from the D+D community to TFT.

One immediate impression I have from your takes on the standard classes is that you present a universe filled with really low ST characters, many of whom are designed around some kind of 'trick' for beating foes in a particular way. As a counter-point, it might be interesting to see how you would use TFT rules to create characters that resemble the fighters, thieves, etc. people play in D+D.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
hcobb

I've got two ST 13s and one ST 12, how much higher do you consider to be "starting ST"?

Added a ST 16 starting character.

Last edited by hcobb; 01-25-2021 at 03:25 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
larsdangly

I was responding to the fact that most of the characters presented have ST in the range 6-9; that is at the low end of the range people would chose, and would prevent a TFT character from 'modeling' certain common D+D character types. What I'm suggesting is that, while these are perfectly fine characters, you would come up with a pretty different looking list if you started with the specific gear and capabilities of D+D characters and then created TFT characters that emulate them.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
hcobb

A human monk really needs to start at ST 8. There is character advancement from that, but 32 points doesn't go that far around.

Getting Unarmed Combat III requires DX 12 and IQ 12, leaving ST 8. This is a really marginal build against the sword users, but the best that can be done.

Last edited by hcobb; 01-25-2021 at 06:04 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #6
larsdangly

What about starting with UC II and higher ST? I suspect there is some sort of XP economics argument against it, but that doesn't carry much weight with most players I know. It is sort of like convincing someone not to play a Magic User in classic D+D because Thieves have a faster level progression: that is true, but what about the fact that you would rather have a 3rd level MU than a 5th level Thief?
Old 01-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #7
hcobb

Okay, a monk who is crippled by raising his ST all the way to average.

Monk on a stick, Human, age 20
ST 10, DX 12 (11), IQ 10, MA 10
Talents: Acrobatics, Acute Hearing, Crossbow, Literacy, Priest, Silent Movement, Unarmed Combat I
Weapons: Light Crossbow (2d; adjDX 9), Maul (1d+1)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-2)
Armor: Cloth armor stops 1 hit
Old 01-26-2021, 08:30 AM   #8
larsdangly

I don't understand the weapons the character can't use. Why not just get weapons the character has the ST to use properly?
Old 01-26-2021, 08:37 AM   #9
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't understand the weapons the character can't use. Why not just get weapons the character has the ST to use properly?
D&D monks have Crossbow, but not Bow. UC I + ST 12 would drive DX below the level required for the other Monk talents.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
larsdangly

I guess I don't really understand your approach here. I get that D+D monks CAN have a crossbow, but surely they don't have to (I can't recall ever having one that did). It is a less glaring issue but I also don't get the maul; couldn't this character fight with a 1H hammer for exactly the same damage but leaving the other hand free for a small shield or whatever?