Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Melee question on HTH

Melee pages 6 and 7: No options for a disengaged figure to enter HTH,
but engaged option o has HTH at the turn to act.

Page 8: May move into the hex for HTH then stops, but also stops once engaged.

Page 18: "A disengaged figure picks option (b) to initiate HTH combat; he moves onto the enemy’s hex during movement and attacks during combat." (Needs to be added to ITL errata for ITL page 116 to clarify that "If the attacking figure is disengaged, this is a regular move." means a charge attack and not a full move)

So if a wolf, elf, giant bird or other fowl beast runs around and enters through a side or rear hex the "defense against the HTH attack" roll is applied during movement and "6" results are rerolled, correct?

If the attacker attempts to enter through a front hex their movement stops and they have to use option (o) to attempt HTH at their turn to act and "6" rolls apply.

Last edited by hcobb; 05-04-2020 at 11:54 AM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
JimmyPlenty

Default Re: Melee question on HTH

Is the wolf, elf, giant bird or other fowl beast significant?
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
hcobb

High MA to get around behind the target.

Also needed to not have a lower MA than the target.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #4
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
Is the wolf, elf, giant bird or other fowl beast significant?
Every detail is surely significant. But it's up to you to figure it out. This is how we are educated by hcobb.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
JimmyPlenty

Unless I am missing something, the rear is the only way to get behind for HTH. The side is not an option.

But everything else you said checks out.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
Skarg

I don't know what the question is, but this has been pretty well discussed before.

And mostly agreed upon, except by some people who choose to see only the "as an action" option.

If a disengaged figure can move 1/2 MA and reach the target's hex without being stopped (e.g. by becoming engaged), and the other conditions are met, then yes the figure can attempt to initiate HTH during the movement phase, and a 6 will be re-rolled. The "rear" in the conditions is literal, so the figure usually needs to have higher MA than the target to initiate HTH from the side rather than the rear.

Otherwise, initiating HTH is an action done in adjDX sequence, and a 6 would only be re-rolled if not coming in from the front.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
Terquem

I think I need to write "Field Ball" rules using the Melee template - because tackling from behind is the best way to stop a runner from getting into the point zone
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
hcobb

So there is a clear difference in HTH engagement between "behind" and "rear"?
Old 05-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #9
JimmyPlenty

It only mentions rear in the HTH rules. Never mentions side. Behind should probably not have been used as a word to avoid confusion.

How much do you guys think adding "side" for initiating HTH would change things? I think I'd still allow a 6 result if sides were allowed, saving a reroll only for rear.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:26 AM   #10
Steve Plambeck

A couple things that may factor into parts of this...

My interpretation has been that a disengaged figure is not required to stop in the enemy's front hex when rushing in to attempt HTH during movement on the basis of having the higher MA. While it's beneficial to come in through the enemy's rear (a 6 roll won't count), it is not required. The attempt at HTH is allowed if the enemy has a lower MA, or the attacker comes in from the rear, the operative word being "or", not "and". Entering the hex from the rear only becomes a requirement if not faster that the enemy.

I'm sure Henry mentioned the beasties because they'll normally have the higher MA, especially when the enemy is armored. Whether they have enough MA to go around and come in from the rear (preferable) or not, they can still attempt to initiate HTH coming in through whatever hex they want or can. That's the virtue of having the higher MA and starting from disengaged.