Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Gnomasz

Default Re: High Powered Fantasy - will "Supers" help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I thought it would be restrictive or change the way GURPS is played.
Oh, I'm really sure it won't be as restrictive as I am. I am actually looking for treatment against addiction to realism. But I'll stick to just two books for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Henchmen is good stuff, but the DF core templates are only 250 points, and a sizable chunk of that is usually in attributes that aren't necessarily human competence. With 1000 points, I have trouble seeing a need to shave down your core even further than that!
I feel more comfortable with some anchor to reality. Thus I prefer some human base + superpowers over completely free build. And as Navy SEAL template is 240 points, I consider 250-points templates a base for king's guard, true masters of martial arts and masters of mages' guild. But comic books are full of guys that, aside from superpowers, are just some reporters. If someone wants to base his character on someone not-so-elite, lower powered templates will be needed.
Besides, it will be useful for creating NPC-s and for PC-s in future games.
Quote:
Well, all the DF templates do boast a combat skill of at least...12 I think? So if someone wanted to build a character who seriously couldn't hold their own with a weapon you'd need to make adjustments
Oh, I'm sure no one in my group will stay with such a low combat skill. Not them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
1000 points might necessarily let you take over the world in a modern game, where you're fighting against tanks and bombers, but is absolutely godlike at TL 3: take something like ST 35 [250], DR 25 [125], Doesn't Breathe [20], Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30], Breaking Blow, and Power Blow, and little short of a ballista bolt or live burial will even slow you down.

Alternatively, Fantasy has advice on building minor gods as characters. It's essentially the Spirit meta-trait, Unkillable 3, and loads of extra FP (it's assumed gods will know some spells). He total cost is 662 points, so in a 1000-point game, your other abilities will be impressive but it won't necessarily be impossible for a mortal to best you in a sword fight, say. Which does fit how gods are sometimes portrayed in legends.
Oh, I have some idea of how army-destroying power a 1000 points is. I will have at least one god-emperor to keep some balance between nations.

But I seem to have overlooked the part on gods in Fantasy, and I have read it not so long ago. Thanks for pointing this out!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Stripe

Default Re: High Powered Fantasy - will "Supers" help me?

I've not weighed in on the point issue, because it's quite secondary. I imagine you could make "normal" people on 1,000 points, if you tried; e.g., a wealthy Businessman/king/president who is a genius or nearly so, like King Solomon or Tony Stark. You could easily do so with 500.

You can also make world-shattering powers on 50 points. There's a 50-point powers thread that has one toxic cyclical innate attack that would destroy every living thing in the known universe, IIRC.

So, points aren't everything when judging the power level of a campaign.

You're doing the right thing by offering templates. A 250 DF template combined with a 250-point super-power template would work really well. But, that's still a long way from 1,000. Like I say, though, the brick is a 1,000-point template in Supers, so it's not out of the question.

Let us know how things go! :)
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, high powered, supers, templates