Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
David Johnston2

Default [Supers] Counterstereotyping

Fire: Rigidly disciplined
Telepathy: Stupid and Brutal
Healing: Sadistic
Brick: Tentative and Insecure
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Agemegos

Default Re: [Supers] Counterstereotyping

Traveller: superhero game.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Yes, I missed when I clicked.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
LemmingLord

Speedster: A bookworm with all the common sense and all the thoughtfullness of someone who thinks and acts 10,000 times as fast as everyone else. The patronage at the local public library has swelled quite a bit by those who just want to see the amazing speedster go through several huge books per minute.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
samd6

I think that for countersterotypimg, you need a reason for why the powers alter how a person acts.
Frex, the brick is tentative and because they can badly damage people or buildings by accident. Slam the door? Need a new door. High five someone? They'll heal in a few weeks.

Electricity: Focused and methodical. Lightning seeks the most effective route between two points by attempting all routes.

Water: Twitchy and lazy. Water is always in motion, but does not act of its own accord.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
I think that for countersterotypimg, you need a reason for why the powers alter how a person acts.
Frex, the brick is tentative and because they can badly damage people or buildings by accident. Slam the door? Need a new door. High five someone? They'll heal in a few weeks.
Another plausible reason that many bricks might be timid is fear. In many superhero settings, bricks are actually among the least potent supers, though the writers sometimes gloss over that/play it down. For ex, if the writers aren't trying to balance it for the sake of the story, what is the most probable outcome of a fight to the death between, say, the Hulk and Magneto or Doctor Strange, where the latter two are really trying?

Imagine almost any pure brick fighting Sue Storm, who can cut off his/her oxygen supply at will, and keep it that way until she feels like letting the brick breathe again, and who the brick can't see to throw things at.

Writers tend to make bricks more effective in stories than they ought reasonably to be.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Imagine almost any pure brick fighting Sue Storm, who can cut off his/her oxygen supply at will, and keep it that way until she feels like letting the brick breathe again, and who the brick can't see to throw things at.
More even than it might sound. An exceptional physical specimen like a brick may be able to hold their breath for quite a while, and area effect attacks don't care if you can see the target or not. If my brick is in a room with Sue as she tries this, he simply collapses the ceiling -- even if she gets her force field up in time, he's probably broken her concentration and line of sight.

Superstrength is a surprisingly versatile power when you think about it. So, getting back on track, my counter-stereotype would be a thoughtful, intellectual brick, who can see more possibilities for his powers than just "Hulk Smash!" (Curiously enough, the Hulk himself was a version of this for a while, in the years when Banner's mind gained control.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
More even than it might sound. An exceptional physical specimen like a brick may be able to hold their breath for quite a while, and area effect attacks don't care if you can see the target or not. If my brick is in a room with Sue as she tries this, he simply collapses the ceiling -- even if she gets her force field up in time, he's probably broken her concentration and line of sight.

Superstrength is a surprisingly versatile power when you think about it. So, getting back on track, my counter-stereotype would be a thoughtful, intellectual brick, who can see more possibilities for his powers than just "Hulk Smash!" (Curiously enough, the Hulk himself was a version of this for a while, in the years when Banner's mind gained control.)
It's Doctor Rockman.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
William

Tech powers: not too bright or well-educated. (In fact, Booster Gold is pretty much this counterstereotype, having stolen high-tech gadgetry and come back a few centuries to use it.)

Magic: rigidly materialist, adherent of the scientific method. Imagine someone who has managed to work out magical effects from first principles, and thereby upsets an otherwise well-controlled world of magical traditions.

Luck powers: careful planning and preparation mean you can conserve that luck for when it's really necessary.

Divine powers: not an adherent. One way could be atheist -- "I refuse to believe you're a god, but you're useful and seem to be a decent entity." "That's why I like you, human. You'll come around. And when you do, I'll leave and find another hero to convert." Another could be an adherent of a different religion, even an opposed one! "But... but... I'm sworn to Aphrodite!" "That's nice. She's hot. But in the meantime, Hades sent me, it's your name on the orders, and if you don't summon your death aura these wackjobs are going to send you to meet my boss."
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Divine powers: not an adherent. One way could be atheist -- "I refuse to believe you're a god, but you're useful and seem to be a decent entity." "That's why I like you, human. You'll come around. And when you do, I'll leave and find another hero to convert." Another could be an adherent of a different religion, even an opposed one! "But... but... I'm sworn to Aphrodite!" "That's nice. She's hot. But in the meantime, Hades sent me, it's your name on the orders, and if you don't summon your death aura these wackjobs are going to send you to meet my boss."
Sanya from Dresden files. technically not a super, but no one forgets the russian agnostic who isn't sure if the 'god' he serves is 'God' in truth.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers