Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #34
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Grain-based local currencies in medieval fantasy games

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
. Then we sold it as bulk refined copper, by weight, and got about twice the coinage value, because that DM didn't check his arithmetic.
Uh-huh. DM (or module designer) arithmatic/research failure is behind a lot of these things. It created multiple laugh points when I did the first Eberron module.

Item #1: Sunrods. A popular alchemical item from D&D 3.x. They give light like a torch but can't be extinguished by wind or water and last for 12 hours. Many delvers carry 1-3 for the whole expedition. The mooks of the Emerald Claw organisation had a standard equipment pack with 2 Sunrods. They also had a supply wagon that could replenish that equipment pack for 30 days. So those 12 1 HD goons had 720 Sunrods or some similar number.

You've also just given the PCs a wagon to haul their loot away in.

This leads to item #2, the infamous in my games _Bronzewood Armoire_. Bronzewood is a special wood unique to the Eberron setting. the designer remebred that much but didn't remember that it costs 500 gp per lb. It's supposed to be for Druids to make plate armor out of. So the Designer puts a bronzewood armoire in the dead commanders quarters probably thinking it was like 2x as valuable as regular furniture wood.

So I had to decide how heavy the armoire was (and remember that the PCs had a wagon).

Then we came to the adamantine doors emblazoned with the arms of House Canaith. That was't a problems. The PCs already had a contact in House Cannaith.

So I had to decide not only how heavy the doors were but a price for adamantine . It was a lot for both even if they were selling it back to House Cannaith as salvage.

so be careful about using your vcabulary for set dressing. If you don't know what it weighs/costs and/or don't want the PCs getting rich from it then don't mention it!

Tags
currency, money