Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #41
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: [Supers] Building some abilities for a high-level blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
The GCA modifier multiplies the penetrating damage not the wounding damage.

All damage types do x4 wounding to the skull/brain in place of their normal wounding multiplier. A pi- wouldn't do x1/2 and x4 for a net x2, it would do x4 just like a cutting, impaling, or crushing attack. It's bad to be hit there.
Right. But I wasn't adding a wounding modifier. I was adding a damage multiplier. That said damage multiplier was being phrased as a wounding multiplier was my communicating badly (and so I'm going to go to sleep or do something else that requires less precision when communicating).

In any case? Tangent, tangent, tangent. =p
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #42
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
If you are going to do a comparison, at least do a proper comparison rather than trying to examine something in isolation. :)
Oh, everything is somewhat of an isolation. :)

Quote:
<snip>
Honestly looks like a wash to me. The Critical Hit Table gives more damage and more wounds, the Critical Head Blow table gives more conditions and tricks. Being able to specify one over the other is a benefit, but I wouldn't say it is of equal benefit to the stuff Cosmic Cheating (the +100% value of Cosmic) gives you nor of equal benefit to the stuff Cosmic Godlike Tricks (the +300% value of Cosmic) gives you.

Hence the +50% Cosmic Utility.
Some of the effects are greatly situational.

Ignoring DR and Max Damage could be a lot better than x3 damage if your target is armored. (rolls of a 3)

Likewise, the major wound to the eye is a -10 HT check or knocked down and stunned (itself a 100%+ enhancement). (4,5 vs 4) and could be better than double damage (5 on the normal crit chart).

6-8 on the normal chart have a mix of extra damage and a reasonable chance to stun but 6-8 on the head chart can blind, inflict major head wound (-10 to avoid stun/downing), or automatically stun you for the next turn.

The upper range is similar in effect.

As to the cost and taking things out of context, my understanding of your above suggestion was that the +50% was to modify all normal (non-critical hits) to Head Critical hits automatically. Not to go from the normal critical to the head chart. Assuming every hit rolls on the critical hit chart is better than a +100% effect by itself (most of them do double damage, stunning, or other effects equally valuable). That's probably around +300% in usefulness considering it may come up more often than bypassing DR entirely (as some targets won't be armored or heavily armored) or negating active defenses (since many targets won't defend at all or effectively) and this Cosmic enhancement increases the usefulness of every attack.

On top of that the head chart is better than the regular crit chart. +50% on top of every hit rolling a normal critical as above is probably fair.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #43
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Right. But I wasn't adding a wounding modifier. I was adding a damage multiplier. That said damage multiplier was being phrased as a wounding multiplier was my communicating badly (and so I'm going to go to sleep or do something else that requires less precision when communicating).
Ok, I'm a bit unclear on what you're saying which is why I edited to add the values for wounding.

Quote:
In any case? Tangent, tangent, tangent. =p
You're probably right and this should probably be taken to another thread. I'd be more concerned if there was discussion taking place that were being lost amid this conversation.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers