Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #41
ajardoor

Default Re: Why do Priests exist?

My take on the Priest talents is that they let you intimidate or draw aggro demons. (Kinda like the Religious Ritual skill in DFRPG.) The use of religous rituals may also block unholy powers (so funeral rites stop bodies from being raised as zombies, for example).
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:45 AM   #42
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
You guys should look up some books by Katherine Kurtz; you might be amazed...
Just bought 6 of her books for my kindle -- can't believe I've never read any of her stuff. Actually, I think I was put off by the religious themes when I was a kid. Not so put off by that now... :)
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #43
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Yeah, but there's a difference between using religion with obvious real-world influences and parallels vs. trying to stick an actual real-world religion into a fantasy setting. Never could understand SJ's reasoning for that.
I think that wasn't actually Steve Jackson's decision at the time -- it had more to do with Howard Thompson's refusal to countenance any kind of religion in the game. Subsequently, I think SJG handled the situation pretty well in their GURPS fantasy sourcebook on the Banestorm; both explaining how the religions came to the world, and how they'd changed as a result of magic -- a similar explanation would work well in a world accessed by gates, like Cidri. I also think it was amazingly well done in the Dragon Warriors game world. In short, it's possible, can be done inoffensively, and can add a great deal of depth to the game world if you take the time to do it right.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #44
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I think that wasn't actually Steve Jackson's decision at the time -- it had more to do with Howard Thompson's refusal to countenance any kind of religion in the game.
That's my impression as well but I have absolutely no evidence to support it.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #45
platimus

I find the agnostic (not equal to atheistic) approach to be quite elegant and ingenious.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #46
hcobb

What if your communal prayer was a group ritual?

You've got 50 worshipers following along as the priest reads from the holy text and splatters around holy water and other stuff from his Cleric's Chest then at the end of five minutes each lay person rolls 3/DX to contribute one ST each towards the casting cost.

The church is designed to negate range penalties between the pews and altar for these rituals.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #47
warhorse11h

I think I have finally found a way to incorporate a priest profession.

Delete the priest and the theologian talents and create a new type of character. This would be similar to what was done with the original thief and master thief talents.
The new profession would be called Priest

A priest learns talents and spells at normal cost, neither is doubled. But his spells are cast as prayers and they operate differently than spells cast by a wizard. The ST cost remains the same, the priest expends the ST when his prayer finishes.

A spell, cast as a prayer, takes longer to cast. It takes two turns to cast a 1 ST spell, three turns to cast a 2 ST spell, 4 turns to cast a 3 ST spell, etc. Missile spells require two turns per ST used to cast. A 3 ST Magic Fist would require six turns to cast. A spell that requires a certain number of turns to cast anyway would take a number of turns equal to the normal casting time plus the time for the ST cost plus 1. Pentagram is the only one I can think of right now which requires three turns (or is it 36), plus 5 ST turns plus one for a total of nine turns of prayer while drawing the pentagram.

Example: Herodotus the priest wants to cast a 3 ST magic fist. On turn one, he starts his prayer, moving 0 or 1 hex and casting a spell. On turns two through five, he remains motionless or continues to move at 1 hex per turn casting his spell. On turn six, the magic fist fires. Yes, he does have to roll to hit, 3D6 vs DX, just like anything else.

If the priest is interrupted during the prayer, by being attacked or taking damage, he must roll on 3D6 vs IQ to avoid being distracted. If he makes his save, he can continue the prayer. If he fails, he loses the full cost of the spell and would have to start over. If he suffers damage as a result of an attack, his save is -1 for each point of damage he took. If he is knocked down, he is -8 on the save.

Any benefits that would have accrued to a priest under the talent would be transferred to the profession. He would also have the ability to perform all the rites and ceremonies any priest can; marriages, coming of age, etc.

You could develop religion specific spells to fit the particulars of the religion.

A priest would also have and be able to use weapons if he has the talent for them. Of course specific religions might limit or otherwise dictate his weapons choices, much as they might do to his spell/prayer choices. And, since he is, after all, using magic, his weapons and armor must be made out of something other than iron/steel.

A priest could learn the wizard form of a spell, if he does, he casts it at -4DX.

To sum up, this priest can fight, but until he is fully developed, he won't be as well armed or armored as a comparable fighter and he can use magic, but is a sitting duck for a period of time when he tries to use it.

A Druid would be easier to develop, just give him a few talents, including some weapons talents, that are not double cost and let him be a wizardly priest with a natural/elemental focus. As a Druid, he would have the ability to perform the ceremonies of his faith.

Last edited by warhorse11h; 12-18-2018 at 08:42 PM. Reason: left something out
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #48
RVA_Grandpa

I think it is just a case of a priest-existing condition.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiter.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #49
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa View Post
I think it is just a case of a priest-existing condition.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiter.
Does that mean the premium for my magic insurance will be increasing?
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #50
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
Does that mean the premium for my magic insurance will be increasing?
Rental of a self-powered always on Spell Shield ring remains at $900/week for well qualified lessees.