Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: How are magic items powered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
Reaching back into my aging memory, I think that, unless specifically stated, a 0 ST magic enchantment would cost 10 times the regular enchantment. That alone made it rare. Most had to be pilfered from fallen foes. At least, that was our house rule.
You'd think that would make them rare, and maybe it would if the GM had to pay for creating the items, but that part of the economics of enchantment is all too easy to overlook when handing out the candy.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #12
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
You'd think that would make them rare, and maybe it would if the GM had to pay for creating the items, but that part of the economics of enchantment is all too easy to overlook when handing out the candy.
Well...handing out treasure and EXP like candy does make things more accessible than they probably should. I like promoting the generation of characters that can make the fine weapons and others that can enchantment them. The rules and cost will still keep them from being to plentiful.

ITL states that it takes a minimum of 10 times the wizards to make the 0 ST magic items. That lets the GM make some of them cost even more.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #13
larsdangly

What about unique items that don't mimic a spell, like a flaming sword?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #14
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
What about unique items that don't mimic a spell, like a flaming sword?
They're very expensive.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:17 PM   #15
larsdangly

The question (in this context, obviously) is whether we should think of them as self powered or user powered. I assume the former, but nothing is said, and the general rule is that the user pays unless it says otherwise. So, it is ambiguous.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:22 PM   #16
Steve Plambeck

Back in the day, never ever ever allowed a PC to buy a magic item out of the book or make their own. The few we had were made up by one of our GMs, and introduced as something to find or win within the context of an adventure. They were all one-of-a-kind items with no given price, and subject to their own rules. Nothing was just taken from the rule book.

That aside, they were all self-powered. Never saw any point in enchanted items that needed an external power source.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #17
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Back in the day, never ever ever allowed a PC to buy a magic item out of the book or make their own. The few we had were made up by one of our GMs, and introduced as something to find or win within the context of an adventure. They were all one-of-a-kind items with no given price, and subject to their own rules. Nothing was just taken from the rule book.

That aside, they were all self-powered. Never saw any point in enchanted items that needed an external power source.
That's one way to keep magic items rare and it also makes the few that exist easy to incorporate with respect to ST cost on the part of the user.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #18
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The question (in this context, obviously) is whether we should think of them as self powered or user powered. I assume the former, but nothing is said, and the general rule is that the user pays unless it says otherwise. So, it is ambiguous.
We used to consider unique items or artifacts to be self-powered provided that the they weren't damage per ST related spells. But these things were NOT purchased. They were usually found on a fallen foe and were very rare.

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 05-13-2022 at 09:46 PM.