Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Sadurian Mike

Default Re: The continuing life of the GURPS WWII line

Well I've just (as in, within the last few minutes) bought three more supplements. Do you now have enough sales to commission/produce a Western Desert or Middle East supplement?

:oD
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
ronom

This might be something fans could cobble together. High Tech helps loads and the Vehicle Design is not necessarily needed
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
Pomphis

BTW, that´s one more area where SJG could make additional money by providing a gift option on e23. There are several books I would like to give as gifts if it is sufficiently easy to do so.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimminy
Is there a magic number of sales that indicate a product is a success?
Each product has a different number of sales required to "break even." As a general rule, WWII products' sales are roughly 25% of the norm, and therefore took four times as long to break even -- when they did at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimminy
'Doomed White Eagle' sold best, if I remember correctly, and made it just over 200.
DWE is indeed the best-selling WWII item. However, it has not broken 200 sales (as of midnight last night).

I will give a nod to e23's Wish List, specifically items such as Agencies, Hot Spots, and Who's Who. Authors wishing to reignite the WWII spark would do well to look to these formats for new material.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis
There are several books I would like to give as gifts if it is sufficiently easy to do so.
Quite a coincidence! There are several books I'd like to receive as gifts. :)
Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #16
ronom

You're in a huge club, Zorg! On the GURPS Wiki z09ss has the 4e conversion for templates. searching the threads for vehicle consion gives a small mountain of data. This is mainly a matter of background, tweeking templates and stats. A larger project would be the "what ifs"(suitable for IW crossovers), and "Downfall"-the invasion of the home islands that was " plan B". Some MA tye-ins would help here (house frau/Spear style realistically, house frau/ninja princess cinematically).
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
jason taylor

I suggested theater sourcebooks before.

Another idea is specialty sourcebooks. Like Hand of Steel with Commandos.

It seems to me that much of the series is to land-specialized and not enough thought has been given to making an air, or naval based game work. One could have one called Savage Seas dealing with the ramifications of a naval game.

Other thoughts could be Gurps WWII "almanac", featureing a supply of condensed data. It might contain such things as events on a given date, weather, and such things as average march rates per unit.
jason taylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
Sadurian Mike

This will be controversial, but I found the WWII corebook VERY biased. I realise that Gene had covered himself with the caveat that these things are always subject to interpretation, but it read to me like a US Army fanbook rather than a historical text. Certain passages seemed completely inappropriate (and inaccurate to my reading of history) and suggested that they had been inserted whilst waving a Stars and Stripes.

Obviously, this is something that affected me and I have no doubt that other people will have seen the same bias. Whilst it doesn't affect the core facts, it makes wanting to buy any more in the line less likely.

As for facts; well I would have preferred coverage of famous hardware over some of the choices made;
  • Two US fighters statted up, plus a Catalina of all things. No Spitfire or Hurricane, and no strategic bomber.
  • The best early war anti-tank gun, the 2 pdr is not mentioned, let alone statted. The same for the 6 pdr which the US took as the 57mm.
  • German and US vehicles only except, admittedly, a T-34. I would have liked a little more breadth.
  • Most of the organisational descriptions are US-based.
Now I know it is written by Americans and you probably have more info about US TO&E than anyone else's, unless you are aiming the range purely at the US market, you might want to consider toning down the US flag waving a tad for any future editions.

I will now retire to my bunker to await the abuse and bombing raids.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
HANS

You are forgetting that this a game. An American game, played by people that are, in their majority, Americans. None of the GURPS WWII books are history books -- and I submit that that would have not only been pointless, them being eminently non-gameable, but also most likely subject to the EXACT same criticism. Many historians can't seem to agree on many issues, either -- regardless from where they hail.
I am not defending any specific choices in the history here, cause I didn't write the corebook -- just saying that you probably won't find two REAL historians agreeing on any issue, and again, this is not a history textbook, this is a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadurian Mike
As for facts; well I would have preferred coverage of famous hardware over some of the choices made;

Two US fighters statted up, plus a Catalina of all things. No Spitfire or Hurricane, and no strategic bomber.
There are several books out which cover a plethora of other aircraft, and more were planned before the line (in its originally envisioned shape) bombed. You can't put them all in the basic book.

As to the choices, everybody has their own favourites, and there were DOZENS of additional important designs.

The Catalina, of all things, was chosen because it actually allows group playing. All those single-seat fighters suck at accommodating your typical PC group . . .

Quote:
[*]The best early war anti-tank gun, the 2 pdr is not mentioned, let alone statted.
Easily represented by the 37mm antitank gun in there. GURPS difference is marginal. And the 2-pdr most certainly wasn't a more important gun than the 3.7cm PAK, which was both more numerous and used, in one form or another, by the Japanese, Dutch, Soviets, and others as well, plus the model for the US 37mm gun.

Quote:
[*]German and US vehicles only except, admittedly, a T-34. I would have liked a little more breadth.
Out of only 16 designs (all which there was room for)? Like one vehicle per combatant?

Quote:
Most of the organisational descriptions are US-based..
Again, so what? That's what the other books are for. You can't put all that stuff in a single volume, plus rules, plus advice how to game, plus an (abbreviated) history of the ENTIRE war. Not possible

Quote:
you might want to consider toning down the US flag waving a tad for any future editions.
I very much doubt there ever will be a future edition.

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
AmesJainchill

Doing my part for the "war effort", I purchased Michael's Army yesterday.

Very refreshing. All the other countries have numbers or technology or something else, that gives them an edge that the other countries didn't have and distinguishes them.
Romania just has good strong fighting men and not much else. Just courage, grit, and determination.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wwii