Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
Plane

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Mind Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It is in general my assumption that it isn't generally possible to remove disadvantages that cost points permanently using mind editing. The mind of the subject will revert to the mean. This seems firmly based in the source material where it is extremely rare for mind alteration to produce truly permanent changes and when they do, it's rarely for the better.
One other way to look at this is that since lowering points (giving a disadvantage or removing an advantage) is supposed to be easier than boosting points (removing a disadvantage or adding an advantagE) based on the pricing of Affliction (a 1:10 ratio) if we allowed a broader use of Conditioning, it wouldn't really get out of hand if you used the same ratio.

Conditioning doesn't really recognize this (it's just as easy to remove -10, ie +10, as it is to add -10) but a tweak would be simple enough.

B69's "-1 per full -5 points of disadvantages changed" could instead be "-1 per -5 subtracted" or "-10 per +5 added" (which works out to -2 per +1)

Then you might just as easily add or remove mental advantages too.

After all, there's not really a world of difference between "I can remove fearfulness" vs "I can add fearlessness" (both improve your point value and make you resist fear better than you did before)

Or conversely between "I can add fearfulness" vs "I can subtract feasrlessness" (both lower point value and make you resist fear less)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, healing, mental illness, mind control