Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #21
Anaxim

Default Re: [RULES] Rule of 16!

@LemmingLord: No spell at all. He's thinking far far far ahead.

@David: I tried reasoning that it works for him too. That's when we came to an actually unfair compromise. That if, say, spell at SL22 and resistance at score 16, then lower both by 6, to get 16 to 10, by Extreme Scores rule, and then adjust his score. So he'll always be at 16 vs 10. Not optimal at all.
Anaxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Put him up against an opponent with a Madness spell of 30. Then ask him what he thinks about the rule of 16 now.
Yes, it's important to remind him that bad guys get to exploit the bent rules as well.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Put him up against an opponent with a Madness spell of 30. Then ask him what he thinks about the rule of 16 now.
I'm pretty sure "Tickle" made it into 4e. Look at the results of that one...it's like a full minute of incapacitating laughter.

And it's not all cool like Madness. One irresistible spell later, and you're giggling on the floor like an 18 month old.

Mockery would ensue. Totally worth it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
Anaxim

These all remain on the strand of thought of "it works for you too" which still didn't buy him.

On a side note - is there an active chat room (ala IRC or some such) available anywhere, for GURPS? These are discussions that could carry well in live chat.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #25
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxim View Post
@LemmingLord: No spell at all. He's thinking far far far ahead.

@David: I tried reasoning that it works for him too. That's when we came to an actually unfair compromise. That if, say, spell at SL22 and resistance at score 16, then lower both by 6, to get 16 to 10, by Extreme Scores rule, and then adjust his score. So he'll always be at 16 vs 10. Not optimal at all.
The way you're doing is, it's the same as removing the rule of 16 altogether. Of course that might not be that bad of a thing, considering that the Rule of 16 was added when nearly all spells could be improved at a rate of +1 per 2 points (MH skill in 3rd ed went ½ 1 2 4 6 8 10 ...) while weapon skills improved at a rate that topped at 8 points per +1, making it vastly cheaper to have a spell in the 30s than it was to have a weapon skill in the 20s (and much much cheaper than upping the resistance, though Strong Will added against all resistances, even those not based on ST)

if you want to use the Extreme Scores rule, I would say that you use the second variant, and bring the lower score to 10, while multiplying the higher score by 10/lower score. In this case, 22 vs 16 becomes 22*10/16=13.75, rounded to 13

I made such a table on google docs for all skill results from 1 to 50 for both attacker and defender skill. It's an interesting house rule
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #26
Anaxim

That was surprisingly informative and useful. Thank you. Appears I have selectively read the Extreme Scores rule at the time.
The multiply-division bit seems somewhat better suited.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #27
LemmingLord

Quote:
That was surprisingly informative and useful. Thank you. Appears I have selectively read the Extreme Scores rule at the time.
Very much so... A 30 daze versus a 16 stat could be turned into a 15 vs 8 - giving a slight chance but not the 50+ chance of the rule o 16.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #28
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
The problem here is that it's almost like using combat matrixes in old editions of D&D. Each player need to have the table, and be familiar with it, or things will become sluggish at the table :(
My stuff on e23
Old 07-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #29
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
The problem here is that it's almost like using combat matrixes in old editions of D&D. Each player need to have the table, and be familiar with it, or things will become sluggish at the table :(
Like in AD&D, nobody needs the table except the DM/GM.

BTW, thanks for that google doc. I'll play test it. Have you used it? How did it go?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #30
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Like in AD&D, nobody needs the table except the DM/GM.

BTW, thanks for that google doc. I'll play test it. Have you used it? How did it go?
Well, true...

No, I have not playtested it, since I just wrote it out of inspiration on reading the thread. I have used the rules for extreme scores in the past though, and they work. I plan on trying it in my weekly DF game though.
My stuff on e23

Tags
rule of 16