Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: [RULES] Rule of 16!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Not everyone is in favor of the Rule of 16.

Some ways to get around it:
There's the Rule of 17 perk in Power-Ups: 2. (And I've hear of house rules pushing it higher.)
They are not house rules, the perk states that, at GM's option, further levels are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PU2: Perks, p20
The GM may allow multiple levels of this perk (making it Rule of 18, Rule of 19, etc.), setting the limit at whatever he considers “balanced.”
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:18 AM   #12
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxim View Post
I was unable to search for ANY topics with 16 in them.
I have no input on the Rule of 16 itself, as I don't mind it in my games. Just wanted to mention that doing Google searches as structured below may be of use in the future, for topics that are problematic in the forum's integrated search:

"rule of 16" site:http://forums.sjgames.com/
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
LemmingLord

If your friend doesn't like the rule of 16, change it around. None of the GURPS rules are set in stone. It is what I like about GURPS.

On the other hand, I think this is one of those legacy faults of the GURPS magic system. If you use magic as powers, you end up with maledictions which are much more costly to get up to an effective attack level of 30.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Pagan

The rule of 17 perk (which I use) is a decent solution. It allows the GM to control the level of resistance and in what manner it is given out (so far, I've only allowed it as a magical style perk).
Old 07-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
They are not house rules, the perk states that, at GM's option, further levels are available.
Oh. Right. Thanks.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
Anaxim

Well, he somewhat fails to see reason.
I was about to write how I placated him. But I did not create a viable solution.
I said that using the Extreme Scores rules found on the same page, he can be adjusted to fit into the rule of 16, if albeit his enemy has 10. This solves nothing, besides putting a severely unbalanced check into a fairly unbalanced one.
It is by no way an adequate solution, but he refuses GM fiat on just letting the rule of 16 be and he dislikes playing when things aren't going his way.
I won't go on a tangent about his other problems as a GURPS player (bending high octane ads into his own versions, or not playing at all, for instance), but he's what I've got available...

Lack of available players sucks.
Anaxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
LemmingLord

Quote:
Well, he somewhat fails to see reason.
I was about to write how I placated him. But I did not create a viable solution.
I said that using the Extreme Scores rules found on the same page, he can be adjusted to fit into the rule of 16, if albeit his enemy has 10. This solves nothing, besides putting a severely unbalanced check into a fairly unbalanced one.
It is by no way an adequate solution, but he refuses GM fiat on just letting the rule of 16 be and he dislikes playing when things aren't going his way.
I won't go on a tangent about his other problems as a GURPS player (bending high octane ads into his own versions, or not playing at all, for instance), but he's what I've got available...

Lack of available players sucks.
Too true. :)

How many enemies does he face that really have that high of resistance?

I guess if he wants to be successful all the time with a spell that works on just one subject at a time and you need to challenge him, you can get rid of the rule of 16 and then increase the number of supernumaries in hordes that he may have to face. Not to mention the first time he has to run into someone with a 30 skill in another spell. Heheheh..
Old 07-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
Anaxim

All that WAS brought up.
Thing is, he's in denial of his own munchkinism. He sees the value in resistible spells, but not the point of being unable to overwhelm any single opponent he wishes if he ever had a spell in it's 30s (Which is highly unlikely, anyway. He has plenty else to spend those points at)

He's a ****.
Anaxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
LemmingLord

Quote:
All that WAS brought up.
Thing is, he's in denial of his own munchkinism. He sees the value in resistible spells, but not the point of being unable to overwhelm any single opponent he wishes if he ever had a spell in it's 30s (Which is highly unlikely, anyway. He has plenty else to spend those points at)
Heheheh.. Yes - a skill in the 30s does seem very odd - yet another kind of munchkinism encouraged by the evil original GURPS magic system. May it be removed from 5th edition and put in some online book as a very genre specific alternative to the awesomeness of powers. :)

What IS the spell he has at 30 exactly?
Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
All that WAS brought up.

He's a ****.
Put him up against an opponent with a Madness spell of 30. Then ask him what he thinks about the rule of 16 now.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule of 16