Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
Anders

Default Has anyone run Canyon of the Snow Cairns?

Has anyone run the adventure Canyon of the Snow Cairns? I'm running it for some fellows at a Discord, possibly December 10th. They're all new to GURPS, but I've allowed for some time to get acquainted with the system. And I've handed out GURPS Lite.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Has anyone run Canyon of the Snow Cairns?

I have not, yet, but it is high on my wish list of adventures to run. I'd love to hear how it goes with your group. I've had great experiences with other adventures by J.C. Connors. They run great for first-timers.
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:28 AM   #3
Tinman

I did, however it was for one PC who was a IW world jumping gadgeteer.
I used the pre-generated PCs as NPC allies for him.

It was fun & worked out OK.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:35 AM   #4
Anders

SPOILERS!!!

How the hell do they damage Stonetusk? He has DR 5 and it is doubled against stone weapons.

I'm going to ignore that rule. It's not like they are competing against metal weapons anyway.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
Dalin

He's vulnerable to eye shots. At SM +3, it's only -6. With aiming, that's not impossible for many of the PCs, and that injury adds up fast.

The axe wielder does 3d swing, so he'll usually land some injury to the torso.

I sometimes allow the Chinks in Armor rule for large animals if it seems like there might be hit locations with less thick skin.
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
thalcos

Whenever I've run this adventure (about 3-4 times now), my players were usually smart enough to avoid taking on a mastodon directly. They mostly distracted it to help their poor crushed tribemate and then backed off. One time they managed to topple it from the cliff with a coordinated attack, which was pretty awesome to see work out.

(If your players just like to kill things, maybe lower its DR a bit and make the creature more interested in getting away vs. squishing cavemen.)

FWIW, I just posted a video overview of Canyon of the Snow Cairns as well as some tips and tricks on how to run this one!
thalcos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #7
Anders

That video is solid gold. Thank you so much.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #8
Anders

First half of the adventure is played out. The PCs managed to scare Stonetusk and run him off the cliffside, so he unceremoniously died from massive falling wounds (9d+1 - ouch).

They left immediately to get the chief back, and are now in the Forest in Howling Winds. They have located the Lion-Tails' deserted camp and were quite puzzled by how deserted it was. They have also seen the stone altar and were distressed at finding the very dead remains of a Lion-Tail. When they pressed on they heard a howl and a giant monstrosity came out of the woods. Kina-Aha tried Animal Handling and... no. As the monstrosity reared up to charge, the session ended.

To be continued.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:37 AM   #9
Anders

And now the adventure is finished. They had a great time and are eager to play more. I showed them the oneshotadventures page and they were like kids in a candy store.

My only issue was with the HT of the monsters. The Gnoph-Keh has HT 13 and the mutated wolves have HT 14 - that would make fights take forever if the GM doesn't fudge things (which I did).
Old 12-21-2022, 08:39 AM   #10
Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
SNIP I showed them the oneshotadventures page and they were like kids in a candy store.
SNIP.
I had the same feelings when I found that page.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
one shot adventures