Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #21
zoncxs

Default Re: Which optional rules do you use for muscle-powered weapons and armors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Are you also multiplying HP by 2.5? I didn't see that in your post.
If so, that is a pretty big change.
Yes, as I mentioned, that one rule cascades into others.

Quote:
There are more ways to get hurt than muscle-powered weapons and guns.
Yes, there are, and this rule effects them too. What other ways are you thinking of that reduces HP?
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #22
Edges

Default Re: Which optional rules do you use for muscle-powered weapons and armors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Yes, there are, and this rule effects them too. What other ways are you thinking of that reduces HP?
Falls, poison, vehicle mishap, spells, innate attacks, negative FP (from dozens of sources), fire, frostbite, etc. I'm sure we could generate a long list.

If you remember to multiply all that by 2.5, it should be fine. Especially if you like granularity and multiplication.

We went with a higher ST divisor instead. Tomato, tomato.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
zoncxs

Quote:
Falls, poison, vehicle mishap, spells, innate attacks, negative FP (from dozens of sources), fire, frostbite, etc. I'm sure we could generate a long list.

If you remember to multiply all that by 2.5, it should be fine. Especially if you like granularity and multiplication.

We went with a higher ST divisor instead. Tomato, tomato.
Yup, everything gets the 2.5 treatment for the most part. It is so much simpler than it appears to be. Like I mentioned, there is a lot that comes from this one rule, and if you search you can find a thread or two that I made years ago talking about it, but you won't find everything because I keep most of my house rules to myself. I have pages with details on this.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #24
Polydamas

I like tweaks where swung damage is about 1.5 x thrust damage and ST 2x does twice the thrust damage of ST x, but in my last game I never bothered, it was a 'nerd tweak' to keep my autistic brain happy not something which made the game better for the players. This can work well if you re-scale what 1 HP of damage means.

I think there is a David Pulver article in Pyramid called "Survivable Guns" which gives full-power rifles and up about half damage and double Armour Divisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The main problem is that muscle-powered weapons deliver way too much damage compared to firearms.
They have too good armour penetration. I would not say they do an unreasonable amount of damage.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 11-16-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #25
Kalzazz

1. Two handed melee weapons wielded two handed enjoy +1/die damage - gives extra kick for strong guys wielding two handers

2. Damage bonus for Karate, Weapon Master etc is players choice 3e Skill/5 or 4e +X / die. - means high skill, weak arms is a more legit choice, and you get a damage bonus starting at putting 1pt in a skill using 3e approach, but also burly storm giant weapon masters with ST 130 don't find the weapon master bonuses lost in the cloud using 4e method.

3. Trained ST applies to melee to, for both damage and parry bonuses
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #26
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
I have my own house rules that changes damage how damage scales and where it starts. This house rule cascades to other rules.
I think you missed specifying how thrusting damage works. :)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #27
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I think you missed specifying how thrusting damage works. :)
Nope, that was on purpose. Can't give away ALL the bells with the whistles. :D
Old 11-17-2020, 10:53 PM   #28
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Nope, that was on purpose. Can't give away ALL the bells with the whistles. :D
I think I smell an upcoming publication...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #29
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I think I smell an upcoming publication...
I wish, I am not that much of a writer and this ruleset change is HUGE. I am still going through all of 4e to see what ST touches and thus have to fix (When I remember to do so).
Old 11-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #30
RyanW

Quote:
I wish, I am not that much of a writer and this ruleset change is HUGE. I am still going through all of 4e to see what ST touches and thus have to fix (When I remember to do so).
My system has a similar problem. It's easy to convert damage to wound potential, but ideally it is all done up front, and there are a lot of places it happens. I've got a super complex fall damage conversion that boils down to "look up fall distance of the SSR table and add X, maximum Y" in 99% of cases (the complexity comes in because it can also handle a mouse made of solid iron falling on Titan).

Tags
combat, optional rules