Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
Anders

Default Re: Striking with the flat of the blade

Yeah, I'm gonna reduce the damage by a point or two.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
DanHoward

I'd allow it but reduce the base damage of the sword by a couple of points. Note that battle axes aren't the same as wood axes; they don't really have a flat back to strike with. You'd be hitting with the socket that holds the blade on the haft.

Last edited by DanHoward; 10-25-2015 at 02:52 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I'd allow it but reduce the base damage of the sword by a couple of points. Note that battle axes aren't the same as wood axes; they don't really have a flat back to strike with. You'd be hitting with the socket that holds the blade on the haft.
Which is still metal and has the mass of the axe head behind it...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
There are videos on that (this one by Skallagrim, for example), if you want to show your players.
And if you want to end your opponent rightly, throw your pommel at him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna reduce the damage by a point or two.
-1/die seems fair enough, and compensated for when smiting things with Vulnerability (Crushing).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #15
Joe

Does anyone else kind of feel as if this should attract a -1 penalty to skill, at least until bought off with a technique (or maybe just worked off, like a familiarity penalty) ?

I realize this would a departure from RAW, so obviously, I'm wrong. But I think I would probably rule that way if GMing this: after all, this involves a change of grip, an unfamiliar blade profile, the blade would respond very differently when striking/sliding against surfaces (i.e. when blocked or parried), you'd have to leave out any of your techniques that relied on draw cuts etc, some openings in the flow of combat would no longer be viable, other kinds of opening would become available... and so on.

Any takers?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:09 PM   #16
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Does anyone else kind of feel as if this should attract a -1 penalty to skill, at least until bought off with a technique (or maybe just worked off, like a familiarity penalty) ?

I realize this would a departure from RAW, so obviously, I'm wrong. But I think I would probably rule that way if GMing this: after all, this involves a change of grip, an unfamiliar blade profile, the blade would respond very differently when striking/sliding against surfaces (i.e. when blocked or parried), you'd have to leave out any of your techniques that relied on draw cuts etc, some openings in the flow of combat would no longer be viable, other kinds of opening would become available... and so on.

Any takers?
Agree, but probably below the resolution of fun.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #17
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
And if you want to end your opponent rightly, throw your pommel at him!
Yeah, that was a funny one. I still think it was something medieval writers put in as a joke or a trap, though - IIRC, the fechtbuchen were a means of advertising their services as teachers, so they would sometimes leave things out, or add pointless bits, so that people would need to go to them.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #18
Ji ji

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Do note that this is likely to change the skill required to Axe/Mace due to making the weapon Unbalanced (U-Parry).
This is how it is managed in Martial Arts. Swords held by the blade are two-hand round maces.
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:43 AM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Any takers?
Unfamiliarity maybe - if you never ever used the Broadsword skill with a stick.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:11 AM   #20
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That seems to amount to 1-2 points of damage on a normal sword (the amount that can be attributed to sharpness of a sword as opposed to just its mass×velocity; compare to a stick of a similar mass, with no edge).
Its also that a sword is not built to move perpendicular to the plane of the edge, that its flexible in that line, that its very wide in that line so distributes the impact which is left after flexing ... so yes, -1 or -2 damage would be fair. Someone who wants to bludgeon the undead should use the pommel or an actual mace or club.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 10-26-2015 at 02:26 AM. Reason: s/people/the undead
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, damage