Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 08-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #21
Scott Pearson

Default Re: Welcome to the Ogre video game community!

I add my name to the list of Mac users hopeful the game might be ported at some point. But I do have software that allows me to run Windows games on my Mac, I've just never tried to do so in tandem with Steam . . .
Scott Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #22
Kobold Curry Chef

Hoping for a MacOS version as well! One of my very first Macintosh game purchases, nearly 30 years ago, was Ogre. Hoping to continue the tradition on my current MacBook.
Kobold Curry Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #23
MIB 9966

Glad to see it announced and looking forward to the release here!

As someone who supports Apple devices (for too many years....), I can honestly say that Apple's lack of support for some of the unified coding systems (like Vulkan) and pushing a custom one (Metal) certainly hurts, combined with the limited graphical chips (for gaming specifically) on the lower end Macs has made it difficult for many companies to bring out OSX compatible games.

Considering the overhead of systems like Unity and the Unreal Engine, I do hope that you can find a good balance so that porting wouldn't require too much effort for the future!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #24
cissmjg

To the MAC and Linux users out there ... is setting up a Windows VM possible until a native version becomes available?
cissmjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #25
HeatDeath

Yep. Either Parallels or Boot Camp worked lovely the last time I tried them.
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #26
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Possible, yes.

Ideal, not so much. It will depend a LOT on how heavy the game is code wise (3D hardware acceleration, etc).

The bigger issue (especially for linux users) is it's often a philosophical issue rather than a technical one. Don't want to pay money to Microsoft or Apple, believe in supporting Open systems, etc.

Anyone doing that knows the risks associated with choosing non-Windows, and most either live with that choice and don't play, or work around it (with varying degrees of success).

Nobody is whining, we are simply stating "We are here" just in case they are listening. If enough people speak up, we may be rewarded, but we don't expect it. It's just a fact of the industry we all understand and take it for what it is.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #27
dwalend

I've got a more basic Steam on Windows via bootcamp question, in that strange land of non-square pixels I left so many years ago.

I can dedicate an old macbook pro to bootcamp. Looks like it meets all the requirements except maybe "Intel HD Graphics 4000 or better" . Is an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB "better" ? (It's "better" for me because I own it.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #28
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
I've got a more basic Steam on Windows via bootcamp question, in that strange land of non-square pixels I left so many years ago.

I can dedicate an old macbook pro to bootcamp. Looks like it meets all the requirements except maybe "Intel HD Graphics 4000 or better" . Is an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB "better" ? (It's "better" for me because I own it.)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rchy,4388.html

Fantastic resource, that chart. According to it, yes, your card is probably more than the minimum system requirements. In general, a mobile card - as denoted by the "M" - is one or two "boxes" lower on the chart than its desktop version.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #29
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rchy,4388.html

Fantastic resource, that chart. According to it, yes, your card is probably more than the minimum system requirements. In general, a mobile card - as denoted by the "M" - is one or two "boxes" lower on the chart than its desktop version.
Thanks! And that is an amazing table. (I wonder if I can reanimate one of the retired machines...)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #30
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_d View Post
Hello Jake! Thank you for taking the time to interact like this. It means a great deal to me.

I just wanted to add another voice from the "games on Linux" camp. It would be a dream come true for a KS backer like me!

On the technical side, what dev tools do your team utilise to bring OGRE to life? What cool engine tech and nifty middleware bits?

I have a hobbyist interest in video game development and would love to know some of the tech details. Thanks again, and I wish you luck in making this game the best digital version possible.

Edit: I am happy for my Windows friends here, and I don't want Auroch to feel unappreciated, either. I hope that we Linux & OS X folks aren't giving that impression.
You're too kind! ;)

The game is being made in Unity and we're really happy with the freedom that it's given us to bring the physical game to life in the digital realm.

Thanks to everyone weighing in on the platform conversation. As we say, it's only PC confirmed so far, and apologies to anybody that this excludes. A big thanks to those who have offered solutions to those playing on Linux and Mac too!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, auroch, computer, digital, ogre, steam, video game, windows