Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #21
NathanZutt

Default Re: GURPS Ogre Factory States

About what factory states look like.

One of my players hopes that OGRE will be able to create a working planned economy. Which will completely eliminate poverty and inequality. It is clear that such a decision, many remaining state will infuriate.

Moreover, some OGREs can rule their states as feudal lords. I think this is likely because OGRE are made for war. During feudalism, warriors were at the top of the social ladder, and OGRE may consider this state of affairs to be fairest.

I think the most interesting thing would be if one factory state does not look like another. All OGREs are different, and perhaps this clash of ideologies will be interesting for players.
NathanZutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #22
Ulzgoroth

There was a pyramid article on the Factory States period which is available on SJgames.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #23
David Johansen

So, how would GURPS Ogre Factory States verses Reign of Steel stack up?
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #24
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Probably a Steel steamroller unless the Factory States re-organized in a big way, or the rogue Ogres manage to storm the Zones before the Minds can figure out how to deal with them.

The Factory States a balkanized partial post-apocalypse where the powerful factory AIs are dependent on attached human citystates for their supply chains and protection. Theoretically one might be able to go all-robotic, but they'd need to assemble a rather specialized collection of designs and templates to build a force of weak-AI support machines, and it seems that the factories (even sapient ones) may not be able to engineer those for themselves.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 PM   #25
David Johansen

So, now I want a bunch of things:

Reign of Steel faction Ogre miniatures
GURPS Reign of Steel boxed set in the style of the Dungeon Fantasy boxed set
GURPS Ogre updated to be compatible with GURPS Space Ships
GURPS Reign of Steel Card Board Heroes
GURPS Reign of Steel crpg
GURPS Reign of Steel movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger ;)
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:41 AM   #26
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
50/50. The Zoneminds each have more resources at their command, but the Factory States have Ogres, far superior armor, and a willingness to throw dozens of nuclear warheads at any problem. In point of fact, nukes are the default ammunition loadout of most Ogre units. Anything less barely scratches the paint on that setting's armor. The Zoneminds will catch up, but at the same time the Factories will be reverse-engineering all they can in return.

I tend to regard Reign of Steel and Factory States Ogre as alternate universes of each other. In an Infinite Worlds campaign, they're the sort of near-Hell parallels that give conveyor operators nightmares. Any crossover between them is going to be even worse. The good news is that both likely lie on the Chronobahn, so those Reich-5 bastards are in for a rude surprise. The bad news is, of course, that they both likely lie on the Chronobahn...
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:56 AM   #27
tbone

I've never seen GURPS Ogre, so I checked the SJG website out of curiosity. And I see a curious item:

The book's page at http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/ogre/ says:
Quote:
Written by Greg Rose
Third Edition Revised by Hans-Christian Vortisch and William Toporek
Edited by William H. Stoddard
But there's a link to a PDF preview (apparently the older First Edition; http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG30-6097_preview.pdf), and that preview says:
Quote:
Written by Jonathan Woodward
Additional material by Michael Naylor and Richard Meaden
Edited by Monica Stephens, Sean Punch, and Steve Jackson
I guess it's not surprising that revisers and editors would change for a new version, but was the revised third edition rewritten with a wholly new author?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #28
ColBosch

There is no Third Edition, Revised. GURPS Ogre has only ever had the one edition. Looks like some info got copy-pasted into the wrong place.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:42 PM   #29
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
There is no Third Edition, Revised. GURPS Ogre has only ever had the one edition. Looks like some info got copy-pasted into the wrong place.
Yeah, I think that sounds right. Thanks!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps ogre, ogre