Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
weby

Default Re: Converting "Problematic" Spells to Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
Hey, all. Long-time lurker here, made an account so I could ask for some advice.

I'm trying to convert some spells from GURPS: Magic to use within the Sorcery framework (Magic as Powers). It's fairly straightforward for most spells, but I'm having difficulty with others. I'm trying to keep relative point costs and effects as consistent as possible.
First thing to remember that raw abilities are more expensive than spells. To bring down the cost you should use modular slots or alternate abilities so that only some of your abilities can be active at a single time.

Quote:
Healing - buying it as the Healing advantage is very expensive compared to it's cost in Magic.
Major healing is about:

Healing - Injuries Only, -20%; Capped (4 FP), -20%; PM: magic, -10%. 15 points (3 as alternate)

Quote:
Flash - how do I model the "absolute" -3 to DX? IIRC, "unresistable" Afflictions are not allowed by RAW.
You get close enough by adding enough levels to force the enemy to roll against 5 or less to resist. But it does get really expensive.

Quote:
Recover Energy - buying a similar level of Regeneration (Fatigue Only) is far too expensive. Is there any other way?
Regeneration is the best way to do it. A slightly better version than the spell would be:

Regeneration - Fast (You recover 1 HP per minute), +50; Fatigue Only, +0%; PM:magic, -10%; Require skill roll, -10%. 40 points(8 as alternate)

Quote:
Missile Shield - it makes the subject immune to most missile attacks (Physical, Ranged), and it's a passive effect, so Enhanced Defenses wouldn't be appropriate.
In powers you cannot buy unlimited power defense. You should buy enough DR with ranged only to stop the expected levels of attack.

Something like:

Damage Resistance - Limited (Ranged only), -20%; PM:magic, -10%; Cost FP 1, -5%. cost: 3.3/point of DR(0.66/point as alternate)

Quote:
Suspend Time and Time Out - I have no idea where to begin.
Suspend Time: as said by Anaraxes above

Timeout cannot really be built as closest thing is unlimited levels of ATR..

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Timeout cannot really be built as closest thing is unlimited levels of ATR..
Assuming Control Time follows the same %/level as Control Gravity, 10 levels of Control Time would be a complete Time Stop. In any campaign where such a power is common, I'd probably include a Perk to allow people with Control Time to remain unfrozen.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #13
Clockwork_Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The example Suspend Time in Sorcery is built on the Temporal Stasis condition for Affliction found in Powers on page 118.
I really should go back through Powers / buy the new Sorcery book. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desthro View Post
I believe I priced it at 5 points per 1d, it seemed reasonable to me, especially since you don't get to heal diseases and regrow limbs with it and stuff. At least not for that price ;)
Interesting! Much more workable than using Affliction to deliver Regeneration. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
First thing to remember that raw abilities are more expensive than spells. To bring down the cost you should use modular slots or alternate abilities so that only some of your abilities can be active at a single time.
Yep, within the Sorcery framework, every "known spell" is bought as an Alternate to the "master" casting advantage, with modular slots for improvised spells.
Quote:
Major healing is about:

Healing - Injuries Only, -20%; Capped (4 FP), -20%; PM: magic, -10%. 15 points (3 as alternate)
A "capped" limitation, eh? Looks workable.
Quote:
You get close enough by adding enough levels to force the enemy to roll against 5 or less to resist. But it does get really expensive.
Yeah, think I'll just give up on that one. Far too expensive.
Quote:
Regeneration is the best way to do it. A slightly better version than the spell would be:

Regeneration - Fast (You recover 1 HP per minute), +50; Fatigue Only, +0%; PM:magic, -10%; Require skill roll, -10%. 40 points (8 as alternate)
I hadn't thought of taking Regeneration as an alternate ability -- but it makes sense, since the Recover Energy spell requires you to be resting anyway.
Quote:
In powers you cannot buy unlimited power defense. You should buy enough DR with ranged only to stop the expected levels of attack.

Something like:

Damage Resistance - Limited (Ranged only), -20%; PM:magic, -10%; Cost FP 1, -5%. cost: 3.3/point of DR(0.66/point as alternate)
Hmmm. I understand why it works that way, but the cost is prohibitive...

Would it be valid to buy a limited form of Insubstantiality?

Thanks!

Last edited by Clockwork_Virus; 08-17-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
A "capped" limitation, eh? Looks workable.
That's RAW for Healing; it limits how much FP you can spend per use.

Quote:
Reflexive, Uncontrollable, Unconscious Only (requires Uncontrollable to be a valid limitation), and Accessibility: Only to avoid projectiles (-??%)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #15
Clockwork_Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Reflexive, Uncontrollable, Unconscious Only (requires Uncontrollable to be a valid limitation), and Accessibility: Only to avoid projectiles (-??%)
How much do you think that Accessibility would work? Since most of the functionality of Insubstantiality is lost, something like -40% to -60%?
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Yes, but it will be grotesquely expensive. It would be, roughly: Insubstantial, Affects Substantial (+100%), Can Carry Objects (+100%), Missiles Only (-50% or so) [200]. It's none of reflexive (it takes an action to activate missile shield), uncontrollable (it doesn't activate unexpectedly), or unconscious (you can deliberately turn it on).

Last edited by Anthony; 08-17-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #17
Nereidalbel

Quote:
How much do you think that Accessibility would work? Since most of the functionality of Insubstantiality is lost, something like -40% to -60%?
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction lists it as -20%, as a large amount of incoming bad would be considered to be projectiles. I'd probably end up calling it the same on Insubstantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes, but it will be grotesquely expensive, because you'll have to buy Affects Substantial (+100%) and Can Carry Objects (+100%), so you're likely looking at 200 points or so.
Uncontrollable Reflexive flickers just to let a projectile through; no need for Affects Substantial. Can Carry at the encumbrance level you're fine with not dropping is a good idea, though.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Uncontrollable Reflexive flickers just to let a projectile through; no need for Affects Substantial.
Remember, uncontrollable is not an advantage, it's a limitation. It means the power activate when you don't want it to activate.

You can use Reflexive to make a Power Dodge, but that won't behave very much like missile shield.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #19
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Remember, uncontrollable is not an advantage, it's a limitation. It means the power activate when you don't want it to activate.

You can use Reflexive to make a Power Dodge, but that won't behave very much like missile shield.
Uncontrollable + Unconscious Only + Reflexive is used to make a defensive thing flicker against a specific form of attack, while being otherwise useless. It's great that you're immune to concentrated machine gun fire, but, that kid with a brick is going to crack your skull...
Old 08-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Uncontrollable + Unconscious Only + Reflexive is used to make a defensive thing flicker against a specific form of attack, while being otherwise useless.
That's not what Uncontrollable means. It's not even close to what uncontrollable means. Uncontrollable means "Your ability tends to manifest itself at undesirable or inappropriate times." Are you claiming that it's undesirable or inappropriate to avoid being shot?

Tags
sorcery