Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I don't suppose I see where they get their water. Though I suppose that could be as easy as: "Way above where the waterfall is" or "Hold a pot outside and wait until it's full."
Interesting thoughts... You will eventually need water...


Quote:
I guess that's also vasic? I don't suppose I've seen any vasic disks just left around in a public space, much less any that are glowing red hot. I wonder how the lighting ones and the heating ones differ...
They look pretty much identical. They are not left out in a public space... unless you count the lamps lighting the walls. You see a woman with pointed ears changing them, taking them out of one basket, hanging them up, and placing the one taken down in another basket.

Quote:
Well I suppose they might not notice me, but they'd probably lock me in with everything else. Or I could oversleep. And then they'd catch me in the morning, and then I'd be arrested. Or worse. Let's try to avoid being seen as a troublemaker, for now.

Well, there are worse places to sleep. Like where it's wet for one. How deep is this hole anyway?
The "Hole" is horizontal, and goes as deep as you care to go... after 20 yards it forks, with another passage going down and to the right. Its made of vegetation, and you can see outside of it periodically... its pretty rough on the feet though.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #32
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They look pretty much identical. They are not left out in a public space... unless you count the lamps lighting the walls. You see a woman with pointed ears changing them, taking them out of one basket, hanging them up, and placing the one taken down in another basket.
Are the ones that are taken down still glowing? Just as well as the new one's that are going up? Maybe it's the wrong wavelength.

What am I thinking? That's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The "Hole" is horizontal, and goes as deep as you care to go... after 20 yards it forks, with another passage going down and to the right. Its made of vegetation, and you can see outside of it periodically... its pretty rough on the feet though.
Well I guess I'll wait until I can find/buy a pair of shoes before head any deeper into the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Interesting thoughts... You will eventually need water...
If I'm not completely exhausted I'll try cupping my hands together and see if I collect any water like that. And if I'm still not that tired out, I'll try to head all the way up to the river that feeds the waterfall. And if I'm tired, well hopefully it's not too bright in the hole I found and I'll try to get some rest.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:29 AM   #33
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Are the ones that are taken down still glowing? Just as well as the new one's that are going up? Maybe it's the wrong wavelength.
looking closely, he can see one or two of the ones being taken down has gone completely black.


Quote:
If I'm not completely exhausted I'll try cupping my hands together and see if I collect any water like that. And if I'm still not that tired out, I'll try to head all the way up to the river that feeds the waterfall. And if I'm tired, well hopefully it's not too bright in the hole I found and I'll try to get some rest.
Cupping the hands together doesn't collect much water, though the places outside generally have drip points where trickles of water flow down.



Julian climbs up the wooden tunnel, going perhaps half a mile, with the thunder of the water growing greater and greater. He passes a large room holding a gigantic black stone, perhaps six feet across. The room is taller than the others he's seen, and holds perhaps a dozen platforms the exact shape of the stone, high enough to stand under. A half dozen people with bags and packs are standing around, and a man is drawing a circular pattern on the rock with chalk.


Just beyond the room with the big rock, there is a fountain set the the wall (opposite the cliff side). After this point, the tunnel starts going down again.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #34
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
looking closely, he can see one or two of the ones being taken down has gone completely black.
I guess they're rather careful about making sure areas are well lit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Cupping the hands together doesn't collect much water, though the places outside generally have drip points where trickles of water flow down.
...
Just beyond the room with the big rock, there is a fountain set the the wall (opposite the cliff side). After this point, the tunnel starts going down again.
Well I'll note where the nearest trickle of water to my sleeping hole is. Half a mile is a bit long to go for a sip of water. Especially when I'm thirsty. I'll take a drink at the fountain though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian climbs up the wooden tunnel, going perhaps half a mile, with the thunder of the water growing greater and greater. He passes a large room holding a gigantic black stone, perhaps six feet across. The room is taller than the others he's seen, and holds perhaps a dozen platforms the exact shape of the stone, high enough to stand under. A half dozen people with bags and packs are standing around, and a man is drawing a circular pattern on the rock with chalk.
They're just standing around and watching? Well I guess I'll stand around and watch.

Forgot to ask earlier; do I feel anything from the vasic that was taken out of the mine? Or is only ones that seem to be doing something? What about this really big rock?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Only the stone that seems to be doing something gives you the feeling.

the water tastes good.

After four minutes of the pattern being inscribed. Julian feels a weird sort of taste coming from the rock's surface. Sort of like a tingling hum with flavor. The people watching load onto the stone and its platform with their bags and sacks. Then the man drawing goes around the rim of the stone with his chalk, drawing a circle. There is a flash of light, and with it, a powerful flash of that touch taste feeling all above the rock.

And the people standing on the surface are gone, as is the chalk.

The man looks up at the wall and Julian notices the first clock he's seen in a long time. It has the proper twelve markings on it, though they are in a foreign number system.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 03-10-2022 at 12:30 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:36 PM   #36
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The man looks up at the wall and Julian notices the first clock he's seen in a long time. It has the proper twelve markings on it, though they are in a foreign number system.
So what time would it be assuming this clock's face matched a normal clock face? (i.e. 12 at the top, long hand for minutes, short for hours) Is it moving at the regular pace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
After four minutes of the pattern being inscribed. Julian feels a weird sort of taste coming from the rock's surface. Sort of like a tingling hum with flavor. The people watching load onto the stone and its platform with their bags and sacks. Then the man drawing goes around the rim of the stone with his chalk, drawing a circle. There is a flash of light, and with it, a powerful flash of that touch taste feeling all above the rock.

And the people standing on the surface are gone, as is the chalk.
The chalk drawings I assume, not the piece of chalk.
I begin to shake a little as it dawns on me what happened. They all got on the rock and they were vaporized. The chalk drawings must somehow control how energy flows into and out of the vasic. No idea on the power source, must be induction or something. They all clamored on just to die.

I'll head back down towards the hole I found. I'll try not to think about why they would choose to vaporize themselves.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:27 AM   #37
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
So what time would it be assuming this clock's face matched a normal clock face? (i.e. 12 at the top, long hand for minutes, short for hours) Is it moving at the regular pace?
4:04


Quote:
The chalk drawings I assume, not the piece of chalk.
Correct.


Quote:
I begin to shake a little as it dawns on me what happened. They all got on the rock and they were vaporized. The chalk drawings must somehow control how energy flows into and out of the vasic. No idea on the power source, must be induction or something. They all clamored on just to die.

I'll head back down towards the hole I found. I'll try not to think about why they would choose to vaporize themselves.
I believe Julian is going to sleep next?



His dreams are uneventful, and he wakes up... with no seeming change in the lighting, and still dry, and still in the vegetation. He's quite tired... and it seems he's woken up by a bunch of people with wings coming through the tunnel, and shoving him out of their way with their feet. Has he slept the full 8 hours or not?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #38
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I believe Julian is going to sleep next?
Yep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He's quite tired... and it seems he's woken up by a bunch of people with wings coming through the tunnel, and shoving him out of their way with their feet.
Well I didn't expect to get kicked around this much. I'll try not to flip out at them, and to get out of the way for the time being.

Does it look like theyre headed into the tunnel or out of the tunnel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Has he slept the full 8 hours or not?
Well I suppose I have to figure that out. Was I hungry before I went to sleep? Am I hungry now?

Last edited by TGLS; 03-14-2022 at 12:15 AM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #39
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well I didn't expect to get kicked around this much. I'll try not to flip out at them, and to get out of the way for the time being.

Does it look like they're headed into the tunnel or out of the tunnel?
Julian moves out of the way to avoid being kicked.



They're coming out of the tunnel towards the wooden structure.


Quote:
Well I suppose I have to figure that out. Was I hungry before I went to sleep? Am I hungry now?
Julian was slightly hungry before, and he's still slightly hungry.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #40
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They're coming out of the tunnel towards the wooden structure.

[COLOR=Gray][I]
Julian was slightly hungry before, and he's still slightly hungry.
Hm. I guess the tunnel goes somewhere else. Must be night shift or something. Well, hopefully it's night shift and not just regular traffic. I'll wait them out and head back into the tunnel when the traffic dies down.

If the traffic doesn't die down... I don't know what I'm going to do. All the shops are probably going to be busy if there's a heavy stream of people going in all the time. Maybe try sleeping on the platform?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.