Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #1
roland

Default Xenomorph and acid blood

what are the mechanics to create a power like that of the Xenomorph in the movie "Alien" whereby when he was injured he spewed sulfuric acid? Thanks for the reply
roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Xenomorph and acid blood

Well, I didn't exactly build that, but in GURPS Powers: The Weird, I had a suite of powers based on hyperacidity. I defined Cosmic, Intensified corrosion as reducing DR by 1 point per 1 point of basic damage inflicted, and as worth +200%.

How to have it spray out is tricky. At a guess, give it a limitation: Trigger, must suffer cutting, piercing, or impaling damage, -20%. Maybe make it a Jet with quite limited range.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
roland

Thanks, my dear!!
roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
Varyon

Blood Agent, Reversed is the canonical way to do something like this, found on page 100 of GURPS Powers and later on page 12 of GURPS Power Ups 8: Limitations. To have the acidic blood spray on the attacker automatically, combine this with Aura.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Blood Agent, Reversed is the canonical way to do something like this, found on page 100 of GURPS Powers and later on page 12 of GURPS Power Ups 8: Limitations. To have the acidic blood spray on the attacker automatically, combine this with Aura.
Good point! I hadn't remembered that Blood Agent, Reversed was an option.

For xenomorphs, though, I would also suggest that their blood be treated as a Cosmic version of corrosive attack. It's not described in the movie as "sulfuric acid" but as "molecular acid," composition unspecified, and it's cinematically potent, more so than real sulfuric acid would be.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Good point! I hadn't remembered that Blood Agent, Reversed was an option.

For xenomorphs, though, I would also suggest that their blood be treated as a Cosmic version of corrosive attack. It's not described in the movie as "sulfuric acid" but as "molecular acid," composition unspecified, and it's cinematically potent, more so than real sulfuric acid would be.
Oh, absolutely, xenomorph acid is ridiculously strong - in the first movie, a small splash (from them trying to remove the facehugger from the unfortunate first victim) burns through two decks of the Nostromo and a boot in rather short order. That requires either extremely high base damage or, as you note, a higher rate of DR reduction. The latter is generally a better option for RPG purposes - it means hitting a xenomorph isn't necessarily instantly fatal. But my experience with people referencing xenomorph blood is that they typically are looking for the "sprays on and harms the attacker" aspect, not the "is ridiculously potent" aspect.