Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
Not

Default Re: Building the X-Com inspired campaign

I've always suspected that the setting for X-com was at least partially inspired by the 1973 TV series UFO. I believe it can be watched for free somewhere.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
PTTG

The magic system is probably going to be magic-as-powers. The Alphans have the most versatile skill-set but they are still limited to a few specific abilities. Other aliens are going to be even more strictly limited.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Get a copy of GURPS Black Ops. It's 3rd Edition, but a lot of the fluff is similar to X-Com.
You should also buy GURPS Black Ops because it's the best GURPS setting book of all time.

For your specific campaign, I would also recommend GURPS Conspiracy X.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 10-15-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added Black Ops link
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
sgtcallistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
I've always suspected that the setting for X-com was at least partially inspired by the 1973 TV series UFO. I believe it can be watched for free somewhere.
This.

Especially the early Microprose games.

I also endorse the idea of characters with the right skills being recruited after an alien encounter, a tech investigation thread that leads to understanding the enemy, as well as a surprising twist that (frex) suggests the actual aliens are merely riding within returned abductees.

Hope this is useful.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:39 AM   #15
PTTG

An important question is, if you were a patient alien empire with powerful yet limited forces, how would you gain control of the earth?
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:52 AM   #16
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
An important question is, if you were a patient alien empire with powerful yet limited forces, how would you gain control of the earth?
I'd openly declare my presence and offer the hairless monkeys shine trinkets in exchange for there undying loyalty.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:04 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

secretly trigger a nuclear war, let human society collapse, and then mysteriously appear, let human governments take the fall for the destruction and commandeer the rebuilding effort by making the invaders look helpful. Earth won't recover for a few centuries, but we're patient, remember? I'm not sold that this is the best way, but its an interesting one.

Less dramatically, I'd partner with power hungry and easily controlled pawns to do my dirty work and provide grunt forces. "Invent" a few things, and grow rich in the local currency. Start funneling economic growth to a nation I feel I can control. Build everything up over a course of a century or so, then engage in normal conquest. Hopefully after I've managed to trigger a civil wars in the largest countries.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #18
Zeta Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
snip

Less dramatically, I'd partner with power hungry and easily controlled pawns to do my dirty work and provide grunt forces. "Invent" a few things, and grow rich in the local currency. Start funneling economic growth to a nation I feel I can control. Build everything up over a course of a century or so, then engage in normal conquest. Hopefully after I've managed to trigger a civil wars in the largest countries.
so your saying your option 2 is literally the plot of XCom?
Zeta Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:29 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Blaze View Post
so your saying your option 2 is literally the plot of XCom?
Never played the game. Is that indeed the plot?

I think of it as the cortez option. The conquistadors didn't take Tenochtitlan with 1,000 spainish soldiers. Cortez used 1,000 spainish soldiers to put himself at the head of a successful rebellion.

The tactic was also used by the english to conquer india. India was conquered by native soldiers (sepoys) with british leadership -- leadership attained mostly by dint of an economic status created by better (longer range) ships.

Now, you specified that the aliens were patient, and I don't see any major wars brewing for them to commandeer. So they have to take the patient option of slowly building.

I'll note Infinite worlds pages 208-210 cover this situation, and thats what it suggests.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Rigil_Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Sit back and wait. They seem to be doing a pretty good job of destroying themselves so all I'll need to do is come in later and mop up.

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mass combat, organisations, world building