Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Resistant: gain a resistance rolls where none apply normally?

Greetings, all!

What would be the fair modifier for Resistant that upgrades it in the following way:
Against hazards that can be overcome by possessing Immunity, but lack a resistance roll otherwise, you gain the right to make a resistance roll. A success is treated as immunity, while a failure results in the usual effect.
E.g. you have Resistant to Poison, and get to eat cyanide for some reason. Normally, cyanide allows no resistance roll, but possession of Immunity protects completely. Instead, you roll a resistance, and if you succeed it, nothing happens.

Note: the granted resistance roll should not benefit from this.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Jerander

Default Re: Resistant gain a resistance rolls where none apply normally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

What would be the fair modifier for Resistant that upgrades it in the following way:
Against hazards that can be overcome by possessing Immunity, but lack a resistance roll otherwise, you gain the right to make a resistance roll. A success is treated as immunity, while a failure results in the usual effect.
E.g. you have Resistant to Poison, and get to eat cyanide for some reason. Normally, cyanide allows no resistance roll, but possession of Immunity protects completely. Instead, you roll a resistance, and if you succeed it, nothing happens.

Note: the granted resistance roll should not benefit from this.

Thanks in advance!
Why does eating cyanide allow for no resistance roll?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
phayman53

I would use one that I have seen mentioned in other threads as a place to start (I think it comes from one of the Power-ups supplements): Cosmic (Rules Exemption) +50%.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Sunspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
I would use one that I have seen mentioned in other threads as a place to start (I think it comes from one of the Power-ups supplements): Cosmic (Rules Exemption) +50%.
That really doesn't make any sense. Using that would result in the full-on immunity being worth less that the ability to roll a resistance roll and have immunity kick in on a success.

I'd think a limitation like Requires Roll (HT) -10% might be fair. You could also go with a flat activation level, not unlike self control rolls, which would be easier to price, since you could base it off of an accessibility limitation.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Varyon

Default Re: Resistant: gain a resistance rolls where none apply normally?

Honestly, I wouldn't make it a modifier at all, I'd make it part of Resistant by default. The +3 level would give you a straight HT roll, the +8 level would give you an HT+5 roll, and the Immunity level would still be immunity. It makes sense that, say, a dwarf is going to have some resistance to cyanide, even if humans have none whatsoever.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Greetings, all!

Against hazards that can be overcome by possessing Immunity, but lack a resistance roll otherwise, =, [/url].
I don't believe any such things exist.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
That really doesn't make any sense. Using that would result in the full-on immunity being worth less that the ability to roll a resistance roll and have immunity kick in on a success.

I'd think a limitation like Requires Roll (HT) -10% might be fair. You could also go with a flat activation level, not unlike self control rolls, which would be easier to price, since you could base it off of an accessibility limitation.
Oops, failed my Games (GURPS) roll...didn't look at my book to compare costs, just was working off of a general principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't make it a modifier at all, I'd make it part of Resistant by default. The +3 level would give you a straight HT roll, the +8 level would give you an HT+5 roll, and the Immunity level would still be immunity. It makes sense that, say, a dwarf is going to have some resistance to cyanide, even if humans have none whatsoever.
This seems fair to me.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't believe any such things exist.
Toxic attacks with no resistance rolls are still defeated by Immunity.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Toxic attacks with no resistance rolls are still defeated by Immunity.
As can poisons such as cyanide.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Greetings, all!

So basically you have Immunity with the Requires HT roll limitation? Why not just price it that way? It means you get two HT rolls to resist stuff that does allow a resistance roll, but if you wanted to simplify that by calling it one roll at a bonus equal to what the same number of points would have bought you as Resistant, I'd call it a fair trade.

Tags
immunity, poison, resistance, resistance roll