Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #31
griffin

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal View Post
Now that GURPS Monster Hunters has been officially announced (DI):

What are your plans? What campaigns would you like to run? Or play in?
What kind of character templates do you expect?
Depends. I might do a few one-shots for conventions. However, as a campaign I'd like to do my long in developmen/planning/thinking-stage Monster Humter 2060 cyberpunk campaign. The base setting is Cyberworld/Autoduel/CP2020 setting mash up with influences from GURPS Autoduel, Feng Shui/Shadowfist, CORPS 1st edition setting and Conspiracy X. Oh and don't forget TV series and movies dating from 1980s to today dealing with supernatural elements and action - Blade, Robocop, Supernatural, Night Stalker, Buffy/Angel, Men in Black, etc.

In general I probably won't use the setting so much as the rules, GM advice, monsters, templates, and such.

Of course, that's all assuming I ever get the time to run anything!
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #32
The Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post

In general I probably won't use the setting so much as the rules, GM advice, monsters, templates, and such.
If it follows the footsteps of DF and Action, there will be no real "setting" in Monster Hunters: Just certain "implied facts" like the existence of various supernatural montrosities - and powerful humans who hunt them down - in a close analogue to our own modern world (i.e. early 21st century).
Correct?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #33
Beastttt

thanks for the info
cool to know that Larry is a geek also

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not directly, apparently. It may have been an inspiration. This has been discussed here before.
Beastttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #34
nondescript handle

For me it depends on how flexible it will be with regards to the cinematic-realistic axis.

Both predecessors had a relatively fixed point on this scale: GURPS Action strives to emulate "Hollywood world" and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy of course turned the dial past 11 to silly.

Monster Hunters as a sub-genre is less fixed in this regard, so how will MH the publication handle it?

Many of the literature/movie examples mentioned by the "leaks" are every bit as cinematic as GURPS Action, and that is of course one perfectly reasonable way to play it.

But I personally find that one dramatic strength of "urban fantasy" settings is that they're "our world plus things-that-bump-the-night."
As Kromm wrote recently in his blog: "he real world offers ample storylines which the players care about personally."

Now don't get me wrong, I don't play such combat heavy campaigns totally realistic, that would be frustrating. But my favorite style is so realistic that it is still recognizable "the world we live in" and not "Hollywood world."

The usefulness of GURPS Monster Hunters for me will be proportional to the degree in which it supports this style of play.
nondescript handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #35
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I suppose that'd be doable . . . if you were willing to seriously tone down the MH monsters so that a group of mere delvers could take them on.
Wow, DF PCs are very powerful and if the monsters in MH need to be toned down then I can't imagine how powerful the monsters MH must be.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #36
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Wow, DF PCs are very powerful and if the monsters in MH need to be toned down then I can't imagine how powerful the monsters MH must be.
I imagine they're calibrated to be at least moderately resistant to fire from modern automatic and anti-tank weapons. If you don't have GURPS High Tech, assault rifle damage is generally from 5d to 7d, and they have ROFs around 10. Relative to even a moderately experienced DF character, that's a lot of hurt.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #37
Stone Dog

Yeah, it isn't that DF characters are weak, it is more like DF dragons aren't bulletproof.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Of course if you are worried that ST 300 monsters with hundreds of arms and dozens of Extra Attacks aren't tough enough for your delvers, MH's monsters will likely also be "too weak".
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #39
Randyman

I plan to see how close it gets to a 4e at-full-cry Black Ops

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #40
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Of course if you are worried that ST 300 monsters with hundreds of arms and dozens of Extra Attacks aren't tough enough for your delvers, MH's monsters will likely also be "too weak".
I'd ask something like "What kind of artillery should I bring against Yog-Sothoth," but my irony muscle snapped and rolled up like a windowshade.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters