Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
Plane

Default do disadvantage categories restrict Temporary Disadvantages options for limitations?

For example B129 "Decreased Time Rate" has the alien-face "exotic" icon, so a normal human can't take that disadvantage.

B115 changes disadvantages into limitations on switchable advantages, but do we limit choices here per the B32 icons?

Like say for example B47 "Danger Sense" (a mental advantage not marked with exotic/supernatural) could you take P109 switchable + TD:DTR where you can only sense danger by going into a mode where you operate at half speed? Or should that still only be limited to exotic non-human creatures?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: do disadvantage categories restrict Temporary Disadvantages options for limitatio

It took me a while to decrypt your references. I'm still not sure what "DTR" stands for. Consider spelling out your references the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
B115 changes disadvantages into limitations on switchable advantages,
Not really. Temporary Disadvantage is a limitation, but the disadvantage it gives you is just a disadvantage.

Quote:
but do we limit choices here per the B32 icons?
I would rule that the Switchable enhancement in GURPS Powers isn't available to mundane humans, so the question becomes moot. For a rules lawyer who needed a justification to this, I would quote the Basic Set, page 101: "The GM has the final say as to which traits you can modify, and in what ways. Some combinations make no sense..., others have potential for abuse, and still others might not suit the campaign."

EDIT: Oh! Decreased Time Rate.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Default Re: do disadvantage categories restrict Temporary Disadvantages options for limitatio

I'd say no; if a GM has decided (for whatever reason) that the Disad DTR isn't available in that game and setting, then you can't smuggle it in despite other players' objections just by making it granted by some other mechanism like a Limitation.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
RyanW

If you can figure out a way someone could have an advantage with Temporary Disadvantage: Decreased Time Rate and still be considered a "normal human" I'd love to hear it.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
Daigoro

The slow-down drug from the Dredd movie?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If you can figure out a way someone could have an advantage with Temporary Disadvantage: Decreased Time Rate and still be considered a "normal human" I'd love to hear it.
I'm not even sure why DTR is exotic, couldn't you just be a slow-witted person?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
It can "adequately" mimic the effects of someone who is suffering confusion or head trauma, where everything feels like it's moving too fast to keep up with.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
I'm not even sure why DTR is exotic, couldn't you just be a slow-witted person?
DTR is more than slow-witted - you physically move slower. Even your running speed is halved (or, rather, you run just as fast but half as often).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
DangerousThing

Quote:
Like say for example B47 "Danger Sense" (a mental advantage not marked with exotic/supernatural) could you take P109 switchable + TD:DTR where you can only sense danger by going into a mode where you operate at half speed? Or should that still only be limited to exotic non-human creatures?
In other words, you want somebody to be able to sense danger, then start moving and thinking so slowly that he can't get out of danger?

I definitely would not allow this one.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:02 AM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
DTR is more than slow-witted - you physically move slower. Even your running speed is halved (or, rather, you run just as fast but half as often).
Which must look hilarious - short bursts of speed followed by standing absolutely still.