Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #11
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: Perk: Singing based on IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
I think that IQ based singing makes a lot of sense for some characters. I would say it represents a singer who might not have the best sounding voice, but who is a skilled performer. Think singers like Rex Harrison, Bob Dylan, Johnny Rotton, or Tom Waits. They might not have a purest voice for opera, but that hasn't stopped them for selling many albums. That style of singing is really more like Performance, which is IQ based.
If I recall correctly, I think whswhs (Bill Stoddard) recommended musical performers roll on both their musical skill and Performance for a concert. I know I've seen some traditionally-trained singers who stood stiffly with arms at their sides; I found I liked their singing better if I closed my eyes.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #12
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
I've heard that mathematicians are often good at music and visa versa. If you ignore the (admittedly huge) ascetic side of it, music is largely mathematical with ranges, rhythms, and frequencies/ratios/overtones. A musical staff is essentially a version of a mathematical graph. I also remember a university musical group that consisted of physics professors.
I have no problem with Musical Composition bring IQ-based. And I could see IQ-based rolls against Singing or Musical Instrument to read music
Old 06-11-2019, 01:10 AM   #13
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJedi View Post
But for added realism, I also think that low HT does affect Singing and Wind Instruments especially. Having high HT isn't much of a bonus in my experience, but I've seen older musicians whose health degrades suddenly struggle to play or sing. So maybe the base musical attribute is equal to the lower of 10 or HT. That would cover that.
Charge lots of fatigue when playing and people with poor health and low fitness will struggle pretty quickly. Your suggestion is a bit like weapons' Min ST stat, and if you were really into detail you could have a different Min HT stat for each instrument, something like a xylophone might have a fairly low Min HT, and a heavy brass or wind instrument that requires a lot of wind and has to be carried could have a relatively high Min HT.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:22 AM   #14
dcarson

IQ might also apply in on the fly lyrics. A bard praising or slagging someone for something that just happened or a rap battle.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:40 AM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJedi View Post
So maybe the base musical attribute is equal to the lower of 10 or HT.
Go with the lower of IQ or HT. Means dumb as a brick athletics and super smart asthmatics both struggle with music.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #16
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Your suggestion is a bit like weapons' Min ST stat, and if you were really into detail you could have a different Min HT stat for each instrument, something like a xylophone might have a fairly low Min HT, and a heavy brass or wind instrument that requires a lot of wind and has to be carried could have a relatively high Min HT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Go with the lower of IQ or HT.
My suggestion was going to be to cap Singing at something like HT+5 or HT+10.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
I think that IQ based singing makes a lot of sense for some characters. I would say it represents a singer who might not have the best sounding voice, but who is a skilled performer. Think singers like Rex Harrison, Bob Dylan, Johnny Rotton, or Tom Waits. They might not have a purest voice for opera, but that hasn't stopped them for selling many albums. That style of singing is really more like Performance, which is IQ based.
I think this is on the right track. Supposedly what made Frank Sinatra a successful singer was his ability to tell a story with a song.

But maybe that just means these type of singer are using a different skill.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #18
dataweaver

Poetry, maybe.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Charge lots of fatigue when playing and people with poor health and low fitness will struggle pretty quickly. Your suggestion is a bit like weapons' Min ST stat, and if you were really into detail you could have a different Min HT stat for each instrument, something like a xylophone might have a fairly low Min HT, and a heavy brass or wind instrument that requires a lot of wind and has to be carried could have a relatively high Min HT.
I think that a weapon's min stat is a good analogy. Specific songs or styles could have higher or lower stats. Compare what an experienced but older choir sings with the songs of a rising star known for the raw power in their voice.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #20
Kilmore

I would think that an IQ based singer is very highly trained and studied from a "book learning" perspective. Perception based singers would be rare. One could say they are very responsive to their audience, but that would more likely be reflected in their Perform skill.
Kilmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attribute substitution, perks, power-ups 2, singing