Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #1
Petrovski101

Default House Rule: Random Armor Save vs Static

I have been rolling dice to determine the amount of damage stopped by armor in my TFT game. I'm happy with the results. Sharing here for anyone who may be interested.

Cloth: d1 [0 1 2]
Leather: d3
Chain: d5
Half-Plate: d7
Full-Plate: d10*

*Ideally a d9, but I haven't found these for sale anywhere... d10 makes plate a little better but I'm OK with that.

I was able to find "d1" dice online searching for "6-Sided 16mm Numerals 0 1 2 Dices Set for Kids Learning Math". They can also be made from blank d6 dice.

I did something similar with Shields. If you have a shield and armor you roll two dice and add to get the result.

Rolling dice for armor gives daggers and bows a chance to do some damage if the armor save is weak (armor saves are very "swingy"). I liked that feature. Adding a shield to armor makes the save less "swingy", another feature I liked.

It's an extra step in combat, but I found the players enjoyed rolling dice for their armor saves. I had most of the dice already from another rpg so I gave it a try and liked the results so decided to keep it. I also expanded the armor to include d2's, d4's, d6's, d8's and d12's (padded jack vs. leather lamellar... etc).

Sharing here in case anyone else is a dice junkie like me and wants to give it a try.

Last edited by Petrovski101; 07-09-2022 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Edited for formatting.
Petrovski101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
Jack O'All Trades

Default Re: House Rule: Random Armor Save vs Static

This seems fun. I might have to try it out!
Jack O'All Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:32 PM   #3
Nils_Lindeberg

Swingy armor values are a problem for the armored, so I would use more common dice and give the odd average in favor of the armor wearer.

Armor
Cloth d6-3 (minimum 0) average 1.
Leather d6-1 average 2.5
Chain d6 average 3.5
Half plate d6+1 average 4.5
Plate d6+2 average 5.5

But it is one more die roll, both for players and the GM.
I am not sure it is motivated.
Do we add shield armor, toughness, magic or do we do that separately?
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
TippetsTX

My only objection would be the extra die roll. I prefer keeping those to a minimum.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
hcobb

An ordinary dagger thrown with just the Knife talent can do up to 15 points of damage, with a possible crippling hit. So there's already enough randomness on the weapon side.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #6
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovski101 View Post
*Ideally a d9, but I haven't found these for sale anywhere... d10 makes plate a little better but I'm OK with that.
I don't think I've ever seen a d9 either. However, you can get a d18, if you don't mind the dividing by two thing.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:50 AM   #7
David Bofinger

Having armour stop D6 plus a modifier is not very different to adding D6 minus a modifier to all the weapons. It's not quite the same because of no armour effects on unarmoured characters, minimum stops 0, etc. But it's sort of close. And adding a die to weapons is a lot less severe, administratively.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:29 AM   #8
Petrovski101

I gave modifiers the big heave-ho in my games. Replaced weapons doing 1d-1 with d5, 1d-2 with d4, 1d-3 with d3... etc. Lots of DCC dice begging to be used... I couldn't resist.

If there's a situation where one might be at advantage and get a bonus to hit, I have them roll an extra d6 and pick the best (rolling to hit or rolling damage... sometimes both if they are *** really *** at advantage). Likewise, if they are at disadvantage the extra d6 is rolled and you pick worst result.

This is just for the dice junkies out there, looking for an excuse to use various polyhedral dice kicking around the house.
Petrovski101 is offline   Reply With Quote