Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
oma

Default Learning to use GCA4 (building templates)

Edit: Searched and found my answers I think. Pay no attention. Move along folks, there's nothing to see here.

I am now ready to start using GCA4 and learning it well. I want to build templates for my players. I tried one, but didn't understand very well about what I was doing and found that I do not know how to load it up to see what it looks like on an actual character.

How do I load it into the program so it is selectable from the list of TEMPLATES in GCA4?

Also, is there a place to go to learn basic info about how GCA works and how to build templates, what the CATEGORIES is for and how to use those tags?

Thank

Last edited by oma; 04-26-2011 at 05:00 PM.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Guver

Default Re: Learning to use GCA4 (building templates)

I have the same problem as you.
Can you point me to the links from which you learned?
I'm having a hard time to understand what is the difference between adds() and creates().
I want to make a Template that doesn't use up the character limit in disadvantages.
I can do it for Abilities, but not for traits like disadvantages. They all show up in the character and consume character points.
Guver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
flyingwombat

Default Re: Learning to use GCA4 (building templates)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guver View Post
I have the same problem as you.
Can you point me to the links from which you learned?
I'm having a hard time to understand what is the difference between adds() and creates().
I want to make a Template that doesn't use up the character limit in disadvantages.
I can do it for Abilities, but not for traits like disadvantages. They all show up in the character and consume character points.
adds() is to add traits that are in the datafile. Example: SK:Guns(Rifle) is in the basic set datafile.

The creates() tag means that the trait may not be in the datafile. So it's being created right here.

Hope that helps. I'm learning myself.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote