Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
Anders

Default Swordmage build

Swordmages are mages who channel their magic (bought as advantages with the Magic limitation) through a specially dedicated sword. A dedicated sword is a perk which can be transferred from sword to sword via a ritual* that takes 8 hours and materials costing $100. How much is the Accessibility limitation "requires dedicated sword" worth?

* that is its own Modular ability worth four points (2+2). You can't have more than one slot.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:09 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Swordmage build

It looks simplest to buy the powers with gadget limitations (p. B116-117).
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:15 AM   #3
Anders

That would be great if it was an enchanted sword, but the powers come from the swordmage, and they can channel them to another sword if the other sword is dedicated to them. So it's more akin to an Imbuement, but it can do things that Imbuements can't do, like firing flame jets.

Edit: I'm tempted to go with -20% because that's my default when I don't know.

Last edited by Anders; 02-22-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:32 AM   #4
coronatiger

Is it possible to modify the Gadget limitation to make it transferrable?

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
Good question. Some kind of Affliction or Modular Ability maybe? But I still think the Accessibility route is so much easier.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:45 AM   #6
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Swordmages are mages who channel their magic (bought as advantages with the Magic limitation) through a specially dedicated sword. A dedicated sword is a perk which can be transferred from sword to sword via a ritual* that takes 8 hours and materials costing $100. How much is the Accessibility limitation "requires dedicated sword" worth?
It sounds a bit like Granted by Familiar/Other, worth -40%.

Does the sword have to be wielded or can magic be cast while it's sheathed?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:47 AM   #7
ravenfish

Powers prices "requires material components" at -10%. This is usually used for cases such as "needs a bear skin (any bear skin, not one particular one) to transform into a bear", but it could be easily adapted for "needs a sword (any sword, not one particular one) or the ability isn't of any use". The necessary ritual, amounting to "preparation required, but, once prepared, can keep using it forever or until you lose the sword", I would probably rate as a nuisance effect worth not much more than -5%.

Last edited by ravenfish; 02-22-2021 at 05:50 AM.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Powers prices "requires material components" at -10%. This is usually used for cases such as "needs a bear skin (any bear skin, not one particular one) to transform into a bear", but it could be easily adapted for "needs a sword (any sword, not one particular one) or the ability isn't of any use".
Good. So if it's a particular sword (even if it can be rededicated), then -20% looks reasonable. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #9
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Good. So if it's a particular sword (even if it can be rededicated), then -20% looks reasonable. Thanks!
I'd call that fair. 10% for "requires material component" and another 10% for the ritual isn't unreasonable, and a 20% power modifier makes a lot of the math much tidier.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #10
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
"Normally, you can replace a broken or stolen gadget — although this might require significant time and effort (GM's decision)" (p. B117).

So it's already in the rules that gadget-limited traits can be transferred to new objects, and the GM sets the requirements. So all Anders has to do is specify that the power can be transferred to a new sword via the special ritual. Give the abilities the Breakable and Can Be Stolen limitations, and you're done. If these abilities are being expressed as a power, I'd probably just build the gadget limitations into the power modifier for simplicity and note the ritual transference there.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations