Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #261
Adina

Default Re: [OOC] The Starship 'Fritjof Nansen'

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I'm imagining Jimbo as not so much of a Llama and more of an enthusiastic, friendly dog.

Is the sort of live in the moment, love everyone, oh boy it's fun to be with friends labrador attitude ok in a marine? Assuming of course it comes with the traditional "these people have been designated enemies, therefore I will protect my pack from those one until that label is removed" switch is retained?
How is he different from Bear? Bear is a big friendly guy who likes people. A grizzly bear on duty and a teddy bear off-duty. He's still very young (22) and is trying to cram in everything he can learn. Living on the streets from 13 to 18 he missed out on a lot education and socialization wise so he's making up for lost time.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #262
Adina

Well we have talked about the naval and marine characters a bit but I think the Hat needs some work done on the survey personnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
That means that the explorers and they ways that they engage with the colonials they meet are where the rubber meets the road in terms of getting adventures started. I need to know about explorers and the grommets they present to my adventure hooks.

Furthermore, the others are Imperial officers who have been through stringent screening and are to a certain extent stereotyped. But the explorers are mostly a bunch of colonial academics hired on for survey specially because of the Empire's shortage of anthropologists, ethnographers, geographers, geologists, oceanographers, etc. Their characters are correspondingly less constrained by the campaign premise.
Quote:
Yes, there aren't going to be a lot of 25-year-old freshly-anointed PhDs in the Survey team. It's going to be mostly multiple-PhDs with publication records and sharp elbows, with the DLitts and DScs looking down their noses at everyone else. If there are any research assistants they'll be post-docs rather than the usual honours students. Thirtyish will be minimum, and there will be plenty of eightyish field researchers.
Quote:
The characters don't have to be garnished with oddities like a Christmas tree with baubles, but each (of the explorers, at least) ought to have a couple of nice big grommets securely attached to the structural members for easy handling with plot hooks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
Well Rabin is curious (like a cat, and yes I know how that ends) and passionate about his work. He likes people and talking to people. Slavery is going to be a hot-button issue for him.
Quote:
For purposes of providing contrasts and mutual foils here's how I see Rabin so far.
  • He's patient, normally slow paced physically, and not in a hurry to get anywhere. He is not quiet or slow of speech though.
  • While too old to be an optimist, he tends to see the best in people and is enthusiastic about learning new things and new experiences.
  • His background seems to indicate that he's a city mouse not a country one. Though I think he does have some physical outdoor hobby, climbing maybe.

We may be the Social Science team but I suspect most of us should have some practical physical/outdoor abilities. With just 288 survey billets available and thousands and thousands of scientists itching for the chance to do real fieldwork, just being good at one specialty isn't enough.
I had pitched him as a psychologist but I think I might have him start as an MD. The career path would go something like:

MD > Epidemiology PhD/DSc > interest in mental health issues > PhD in Psychology - Social or Community.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #263
Adina

Quote:
Lowell would have some influence over the choice of his officers and crew, and could pretty nearly appoint anyone he liked in the most recent graduating class of the naval academy to be his intern. Was there some family connection of a friend available, or did he just pick the highest in class standing who hadn't yet had a better offer? Or did he look for something else in the graduating class?
I think the Chief Engineer is the only family connection.

Unless Uncle Harmon has an intern being groomed for the future he'll pick a promising middie who he thinks would benefit from exposure to the colonies.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #264
Adina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Brent McAdams is a simple man, as long as he can afford the mass market interactive true-crime detective stories he likes he doesn't really care how much he gets paid.
Missed this earlier. Just a neat little touchpoint given Bears later career.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #265
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
How is he different from Bear?
I think the Marines, being such minor characters anyway, and with so little life experience would benefit a lot from considering a more radical cultural origin. Especially if we want the "armed Muppets" effect.

Quote:
Well we have talked about the naval and marine characters a bit but I think the Hat needs some work done on the survey personnel.
I think I've got Lt. Kimberly Strickland as well realized as I'm going to on my own (prior to actually making her as a character anyway). Are there any questions about her that need to answered?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #266
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think the Marines, being such minor characters anyway, and with so little life experience would benefit a lot from considering a more radical cultural origin. Especially if we want the "armed Muppets" effect.
I shall take that as a hint that I ought to put a couple of days into making notes about the freakish cultures on the known worlds.

You're quite right about the marines being comparatively minor characters. And not only do I expect their parts to be rather small, but also I expect their scenes (like those of the naval officers) to be largely procedural in contrast with the comparatively dramatic scenes that the explorers and diplomats will be involved in.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #267
Agemegos

Quote:
I shall take that as a hint that I ought to put a couple of days into making notes about the freakish cultures on the known worlds.
I spoke in code, it seems.

There have been delays owing to infestations of my house by my family and problems with my health. We will resume when my mood lifts and capacity recovers. When we do, I think it would be most comfortable to adjourn to the Play-By-Post forum on the FLAT BLACK site. I have started an OOC thread for the campaign there and copied the most important content from here to there. Eventually I will set up a campaign wiki to organise character sheets, NPC description, ship stats, etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #268
Agemegos

The promised wiki for this campaign now exists. I copied most of the definite material we have settled on in this thread so far to that wiki. Players should feel free to expand on the pages for their characters with notes, casting photos, etc.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #269
Agemegos

For the information of the peanut gallery, if any: we have moved this discussion to the Flat Black discussion forum. Discussion is open to anyone registered at wikidot.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi, space opera, ultra-tech