Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
Gedrin

Default So...that muffin...

Yeh, the psychic blueberry muffin, PBM. I recognize this is ridiculous, but I had to get it out of my system. It's not just "property", it's food. In the normal world, no one would think twice about picking it up from the break room, and eating it.

What's that disad? It's like Social Stigma, but worse than "Valuable Property", and Enemy(Hunter) Just About Everyone. The entire population, even the vegans, is inclined to kill you, and won't think twice about it.

However, the majority of people, IF you can convince them you're a person, probably won't eat you, and may protect you...secretly. They don't want people thinking they're crazy. So, it's not actually Enemy(Hunter). It's like a reverse Secret.

I'm thinking this:

Food: Social Disadvantage, 50pts
You're food. People think you're food, and will eat you without second thought. You're not only edible, but currently prepared in edible form, ready for consumption. Sharks and cows are animals. Bowls of soup and steaks are food. I don't know why you wanted to play a bowl of soup, but whatever floats your dumplings.

Particular Appeal: If you're only food for a particular diet, exclude certain diets, are a delicacy, "weird food", or other factors altering the likelihood someone will want to consume the character, use Frequency of Appearance.

Just Look Like Food: You're not actually food, or you're still food, but people wouldn't want to eat you if they knew more. FREX: You're a PBM and your culture has a taboo against eating sentient beings. You may be able to convince people that you're not actually something they should eat. 1/2 cost
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: So...that muffin...

There is only two reverent disadvantage Will someone care if some else harms you, or will noone care

If some will object then the Social Stigma(Valuable Property). The the value can me non-montry, it could Sentimental Value, or Trancatory (Eat someone's else lunch out of office fridge you might make them have skip lunch making them very crank with you)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Being broccoli isn't as disadvantageous as being a blueberry muffin. And you mention vegans. I think you'll need a two-dimensional scale for delectability, similar to Reputation: the size of the class of people that might consume you, as well as a levelled rating for how compellling you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
You're a PBM and your culture has a taboo against eating sentient beings. You may be able to convince people that you're not actually something they should eat.
Or, conversely, that's you're obviously a sentient being, but you can convince people to eat you anyway. This trait is needed to create the template for the Ameglian Major Cow, for instance.

Perhaps this should be just a new Influence skill, "Food Appeal".
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
ArchonShiva

Isn't it one of the iconic characters in 4th Edition? I never really paid attention to those pages.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Culture20

What about Secret (food): you seem like an ordinary member of the dominant sentient species, but are actually made out of food. (Broccoli Men, Pastry Minions, Bacon Wrapped Chicken Golem)
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
What about Secret (food): you seem like an ordinary member of the dominant sentient species, but are actually made out of food. (Broccoli Men, Pastry Minions, Bacon Wrapped Chicken Golem)
If that is the case, even humans would have this secret. Just ask the passengers of Uruguayan Flight 571.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Being broccoli isn't as disadvantageous as being a blueberry muffin.
But broccoli is way more delicious than blueberry muffin!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
But broccoli is way more delicious than blueberry muffin!
Here's 5 CP for your Delusion. Don't spend 'em all in one place.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
If that is the case, even humans would have this secret. Just ask the passengers of Uruguayan Flight 571.
Humans are made of raw meat, bones, and other things, not "prepared food".
Old 02-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
Food: Social Disadvantage, 50pts
You're food. People think you're food, and will eat you without second thought. You're not only edible, but currently prepared in edible form, ready for consumption. Sharks and cows are animals. Bowls of soup and steaks are food.

Particular Appeal: If you're only food for a particular diet, exclude certain diets, are a delicacy, "weird food", or other factors altering the likelihood someone will want to consume the character, use Frequency of Appearance.
The M&M's from the television commercials would have the full disadvantage with an extra "Particular Appeal" for being tasty candy. The humans seem to have no qualms eating them while they're alive and talking.

Tags
blueberry muffin, edible character