Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2022, 05:10 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default Load outs

A few years ago, real life Loadouts were a thing on ttd forum. I remember asking about what equipment our LEOs carried, not covered by any security/secrecy, aside from the firearm.
The reply I got was a long letter that basically said "belt". Hilarious.
This is a current, public, Twitter post. I'd love to hear suggestions as to what all that gear is.
https://twitter.com/PSNIANDistrict/s...800648193?s=19
I mean, is that a compass? Does he have pepper spray? What's that big front pouch?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
clu2415

Default Re: Load outs

Leftmost guy has something holstered in front of his service pistol. I’m guessing it’s a pepper ball launcher. They all have batons. I don’t see leftmost guy’s handcuffs. Guy third from left has pepper spray on his vest. Also has something orange holstered on his left side behind the baton. Could be a stun gun/taser or pepper spray. Lady second from left has something holstered behind her baton as well, but I just see black. Guy on the right may have pepper spray under his left hand.

I would guess that the square pouches are supplies for interacting with suspects. Exam/frisking gloves, Miranda rights card, maybe a field drug test?
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #3
Anaraxes

I have no personal experience with police gear, so take everything herein with a grain of salt.

Bulletproof vest, of course, with whatever they like to call tactical load-bearing webbing/attachment points these days.

The round thing on the right-hand two is looks like a pouch for handcuffs.

Upper left or right, squarish, with the yellow label, is probably a bodycam. (And mike. Don't the UK police require that yellow "video & audio" label on their body cams?)

Left-hand two look like they have mobile phone cases left of the central pouch.

Sometimes a pouch is just a pouch. It carries stuff. What stuff? Whatever they're likely to need. Zip ties, gloves, tissue. Maybe first aid, but that's probably elsewhere. Maybe additional magazines, but I don't know how many cops are really going to pack a lot of ammo.

Right of the pouch is the radio, with the ovalish handset above it.

Leftmost officer looks to have pepper spray. The woman next to him has a couple of pouches, which again could be almost anything. Maybe an actual cop might recognize one. I'll guess at least one of them has a multitool or pocketknife in their personal "custom" gear (possibly the small sheath on the right-most officer.)

On the left, a collapsible baton.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
Donny Brook

I can't say for the photograph, but typical modern police loadout might include:

-body camera,
-sidearm,
-extra magazine(s)
-taser,
-capsicum system of some kind,
-baton of some kind,
-radio/walkie,
-cell phone,
-flashlight(s)
-hand cuffs and/or plastic restraints,
-rubber gloves,
-face mask,
-sharp-protect 'frisk' gloves,
-multi-tool or multi-use pocket knife,
-evidence bags,
-very basic first aid kit,
-pen and notebook,
-citation forms,
-naxolone (anti-overdose) kit, and
-extra batteries.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #5
The Colonel

UK police are also starting to issue diphoterine as a response to the number of acid attacks that have started to occur in our major cities.
Conversely they normally don't carry small arms or tasers under normal conditions.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
thorr-kan

d20 Modern, if you have access to it, had very good summaries of what as available in US public safety vehicles circa its publication:
police car
fire truck
ambulance

There may have been a few others.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'll guess at least one of them has a multitool or pocketknife in their personal "custom" gear (possibly the small sheath on the right-most officer.)

Any officer on a force that uses zipties should have a sturdy pocketknife capable of severing zipties. It's the only way to get subjects out of zipties and sometimes it may be necessary for safety or health reasons. It'd be a major legal liability issue if a subject in your custody came to harm because no one could get him out of a ziptie.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:22 PM   #8
jacobmuller

It's surprising how different their gear is - very personalised. Just realised she even has a different hat - weird.
Hadn't thought of a search kit. Might even the controversial spit hood.
I might try googling image extracts for the bits I can't identify - should get hilarious results.
Thank you.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:57 AM   #9
jacobmuller

On closer look
All have Glock19* + vest
Extras, left to right:
1st
Blue field hat badge
Walkie
Bodycam
Mobile
Mystery pouch (?)
Truncheon
Pepper spray
Widget (?)
2nd
Black Field Hat Badge
Why is she wearing a different hat? (possibly "gender neutral" - at least that's what a GB police service are using it for, gender "transitioning officers may find it more comfortable")
Extras as 1st but no visible pepper spray.
*May actually have a .357mag revolver as she appears to have a speedloader pouch.
3rd
BFHB
Handcuff & pepperspray on vest.
His truncheon's butt is so chipped I thought it was a compass.
No Widget?
4th
BFHB
Cuffs on vest
No mystery pouch
Truncheon in speed draw position?

If I bump in to any on the street I'll have to ask about the pouch & widget (magnetic key?).
Can't even get an answer to
Are BFHB community policing, ie unpaid volunteers?
Probably need to send a letter
Old 06-28-2022, 10:35 PM   #10
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
Leftmost guy has something holstered in front of his service pistol.
The police are actually An Garda Siochana - Peace Keepers - Irish police from County Antrim. They don't carry firearms except in unusual circumstances. Since this is a Security and Protection detail, however, they might be armed.

Basic loadout is here.

The load-bearing vest is probably knife resistant since cops in the British Isles are more likely to encounter knives than guns.

The tall cop on the left hand side might be carrying a British style police whistle on the carabiner on his belt.

Unknown contents of the large pouch are probably first aid kit, latex gloves, paperwork of various sorts (e.g., blank parking tickets), pen or pencil, inspection mirror (for looking under cars/around corners, can be attached to a collapsible baton, ditto for the smart phone), evidence bags, and perhaps spare mags for any weapons they might be carrying.

Maybe hand sanitizer, KN95 mask, and personal items.

Possibly steel-toed shoes. Trousers might be slash resistant.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, loadouts