Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2022, 07:47 PM   #41
Witchking

Default Re: types of jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Well, while I eagerly wait the day I'll finally be able to download any knowledge I wish directly to my brain with but a thought, I'd say that greeks, romans, egptians, chinese, persians, babylonians and many many others had pretty impressive collections of papyrus and huge libraries... For the selective few, yes, but still.

As long as it isnt TL0 whose only library would be the shamans' stories, I think it"s always avaiable
Well yes. Thus the 'keeping with character concept' bit. In quite a number of said pre or early printing press settings one very likely would need one or two of the Status/Wealth/Rank trifecta to get access to any significant library resources.

Also the big problem (pre-presses) is that books die. The original author may have written only the source copy. That was valued enough that copies were made and spread. However that process is so slow in the early stages of the Literacy Revolution that a library fire or two, a flood, a ship sinking and boom...a book dies.

Ware bloody Romans with torches! I find 2000 years is just about the right age for a grudge.

Last edited by Witchking; 06-27-2022 at 03:31 AM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:01 AM   #42
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
Also the big problem (pre-presses) is that books die. The original author may have written only the source copy. That was valued enough that copies were made and spread. However that process is so slow in the stages of the Literacy Revolution that a library fire or two, a flood, a ship sinking and boom...a book dies.
There is also the issue of copyists' errors. When I copy edited Historia Mathematica, I worked on the occasional article that traced the genealogy of individual copies of ancient books by identifying points where specific bits of text were altered, omitted, or interpolated and then passed on to subsequent copies.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:34 AM   #43
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
There is also the issue of copyists' errors. When I copy edited Historia Mathematica, I worked on the occasional article that traced the genealogy of individual copies of ancient books by identifying points where specific bits of text were altered, omitted, or interpolated and then passed on to subsequent copies.
Are you familiar with the Book of G'Kar? Would you speak of the circular brown glyph? on page 83?
Old 06-27-2022, 03:59 AM   #44
whswhs

Quote:
Are you familiar with the Book of G'Kar? Would you speak of the circular brown glyph? on page 83?
I've never even heard of it. Is it a real thing, or a fictional one?

Old 06-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #45
KarlKost

Quote:
...that a library fire or two, a flood, a ship sinking and boom...a book dies.
Sacrebleu! Dont even talk about it! Alexandria's library, ohh... Please forgive me, the memory is too recent, and the pain still burns within the soul...
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #46
The Colonel

Quote:
Apparently an annotation to the text made by one of his earliest students, a human by the name of Garibaldi. It's significance is much disputed, but it is said to be a reminder to the student to attend to the needs of his body whilst he feeds his mind on the teachings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Sacrebleu! Dont even talk about it! Alexandria's library, ohh... Please forgive me, the memory is too recent, and the pain still burns within the soul...
Which occasion are you thinking of? (If the subject is sufficiently long lived, this could be a serious question...).

More generally, especially before mass market books, (and sometimes afterwards) the marginalia in second hand books can be ... interesting. As can the things you find jammed in as bookmarks (or for other reasons). This is the reverse of when you find that a key table, map or diagram has been excised and stuck to someone's wall...

Last edited by The Colonel; 06-27-2022 at 09:03 AM.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:01 AM   #47
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I've never even heard of it. Is it a real thing, or a fictional one?
Fictional, from a main character in Babylon 5.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:10 PM   #48
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
Fictional, from a main character in Babylon 5.
Ah. I saw the pilot episode and that convinced me not to watch the series. I actually have passed over a lot of iconic video SF and fantasy, or stopped watching a few episodes in; I have very specific tastes that a lot of material doesn't satisfy. So it's likely that I won't get references to video work.

Tags
survival