Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2022, 02:55 AM   #31
dcarson

Default Re: Settings and Adventures I love

One fairly easy fix would be to add a adventure checkbox on Warehouse 23 to show only adventures.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:33 AM   #32
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
One fairly easy fix would be to add a adventure checkbox on Warehouse 23 to show only adventures.
Not sure how easy as if material does not have that flag it would have to be added, possibly a time consuming process - especially if Pyramid is included.
But worth suggesting to the webmaster directly. Add a Bestiary and Setting flag while at it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:15 AM   #33
SilvercatMoonpaw

GURPS Virtual Realms.

Really more of an excuse to change settings and genre without all the lore associated with Infinite Worlds, this meta-setting sees the PCs as people in the future playing those super-immersive VR games that are popular in anime right now. Published adventures are self-contained and come with pre-gens.

Turn learning the game system and being in the dark about setting details into part of the game.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:54 AM   #34
SilvercatMoonpaw

Also, seeing how I love Atomic Horror and Tales of the Solar Patrol, I think SJ Games should focus on retro sci-fi stuff.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:37 AM   #35
sparcipx

I'd like to see more themed compilations of adventures similar to 3e's Fantasy Adventures, Time Travel Adventures, Cyberpunk Adventures, and so on.

Fighters of the Purple Rage from Fantasy Adventures was a lot of fun, as was the Kung Fu 2100 homage Pawns of the Clonemaster from Martial Arts Adventures.
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:50 AM   #36
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Also, seeing how I love Atomic Horror and Tales of the Solar Patrol, I think SJ Games should focus on retro sci-fi stuff.
I don't really like the style of either. They seem to me to be making a point of the setting being one that's not to be taken seriously as a model of reality, but rather of its being a sound stage. And I don't like sound stages. That's why I bounced off of Feng Shui when a friend lent it to me.

Many years ago, my then roommate was taking a course in set design, and she asked my opinion about one of her projects. And I pointed at an architectural feature and asked her what was the other side of it. And she said that it didn't have another side; it was just one of the walls of a set. And I said, well, but for me to think about it I have to see it as the visible surface of a three-dimensional structure and I have to know what that structure is. And that's basic to how my imagination works.

You could say that I've done retro SF: My first book for SJ Games was GURPS Steampunk. But the campaign settings I made up for that were intended to be solid, sociologically and technologically. Steampunk has evolved in different directions since then, and I couldn't write a book for what it is now . . .

My own favorite GURPS settings include several of those for the Alternate Earths books. I've run a campaign in the Chinese Empire world, and I'm currently running one in Shikaku-Mon; and I like the Muslim and Viking milieux too. I also like Transhuman Space a lot, though it's now showing its age, like the many science fiction novels of the fifties through the seventies that assumed that the Cold War would still be going on centuries in the future . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #37
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't really like the style of either. They seem to me to be making a point of the setting being one that's not to be taken seriously as a model of reality, but rather of its being a sound stage. And I don't like sound stages.
The problem, for me, is that "sound stage" style is perfect for me because you don't have to think about the parts you can't see.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
The problem, for me, is that "sound stage" style is perfect for me because you don't have to think about the parts you can't see.
Yes, well, that's precisely why it doesn't work for me. If I don't know what those parts are, I can't make any sense of the visible parts.

You and I probably would not be able to game together. Which isn't a criticism of your style; different people have different tastes, and that's all there is to it. But probably both of our preferences for gaming material should be discounted slightly insofar as they reflect those peculiar tastes.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.

Last edited by whswhs; 06-22-2022 at 09:04 AM.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #39
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You and I probably would not be able to game together. Which isn't a criticism of your style; different people have different tastes, and that's all there is to it. But probably both of our preferences for gaming material should be discounted slightly insofar as they reflect those peculiar tastes.
You may be right. Still, this is a thread to say what we liked and wish to have more of.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:19 AM   #40
Refplace

Quote:
You may be right. Still, this is a thread to say what we liked and wish to have more of.
100%
No product will please everyone. However, hearing from different opinions can help us figure out what some good directions might be.
For example any 4e setting could host an an Adventure, Encounter, or Location supplement and many other stuff. And even if its not a published 4e setting it could still work as a central theme.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote