Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #11
David Johansen

Default Re: New Official Content?

I think something along the lines of the old World of Greyhawk folio would be ideal. An open world to explore and develop. A nice map, a gazetteer to give rough descriptions of the places on the map and not much more. A couple simple city maps might pad it out without making the world too concrete.

Vaguely medieval old west would probably be the way to go. Maybe a vast wilderness surrounded by encroaching nations would work. It could go with a hex crawl supplement.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:35 AM   #12
sparcipx

Well, Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3 hit Warehouse 23 last night...

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...sy-companion-3
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:49 AM   #13
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
I think something along the lines of the old World of Greyhawk folio would be ideal. An open world to explore and develop. A nice map, a gazetteer to give rough descriptions of the places on the map and not much more. A couple simple city maps might pad it out without making the world too concrete.

Vaguely medieval old west would probably be the way to go. Maybe a vast wilderness surrounded by encroaching nations would work. It could go with a hex crawl supplement.
Doug's Nordland more or less provides that for DFRPG, and most of the published adventure/setting material for GURPS DF are quietly part of the same setting described at a high level in the Pyramid Dungeon Collection. I suspect, though, that actual demand for an official-ish setting for GURPS DF/the DFRPG isn't as high as many of us would like to hope it is.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:00 AM   #14
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Doug's Nordland more or less provides that for DFRPG, and most of the published adventure/setting material for GURPS DF are quietly part of the same setting described at a high level in the Pyramid Dungeon Collection. I suspect, though, that actual demand for an official-ish setting for GURPS DF/the DFRPG isn't as high as many of us would like to hope it is.
I thought Nordland is a very Viking influenced setting. I want something more medieval europe style or Tolkenesque middle earthish setting. Now my understanding is Nordland is part of a much larger setting that hasn't been developed yet. That's something I'd be on board.
restlessgriffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:18 AM   #15
mehrkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
I thought Nordland is a very Viking influenced setting. I want something more medieval europe style or Tolkenesque middle earthish setting. Now my understanding is Nordland is part of a much larger setting that hasn't been developed yet. That's something I'd be on board.
You just hit the nail on the head of why an official setting isn't in the cards for Dungeon Fantasy. I like Douglass Cole's stuff and have purchased most of it. I particularly like the Delvers To Go Product but I don't want to play or run games in a Viking setting. There is a limit to how much I will pay for a setting that I'm just using for inspiration.
GURPS players tend to attract people who like making their own settings or feel comfortable adapting a setting they nabbed from somewhere else. This means a location here and there, that you could tack onto your adventure or maybe even run a short campaign around is valuable. An overarching setting less so and if its not to your taste you have a limit to how much you are willing to spend just for the few things that catch your eye browsing the book. Admittedly my threshold is a little high because I like GURPS books but others won't even touch a book that isn't to their tastes for many very valid reasons. IE lower sales for world books in a game that is relatively niche to begin with.

I would love to see more guides about how to adapt a setting, a lot of different takes on similar cultures of elves, dwarves, how to make good cat people feel unique. Things that make it easier to grab an elf, tweak their culture, grab a cool existing system from somewhere else bam now you have the magitek steampunk elves.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #16
jackcelso

Companions 2 is in my opinion by far the best book release (besides adventures and exploits) for DFRPG!!
jackcelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #17
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
You just hit the nail on the head of why an official setting isn't in the cards for Dungeon Fantasy. I like Douglass Cole's stuff and have purchased most of it. I particularly like the Delvers To Go Product but I don't want to play or run games in a Viking setting. There is a limit to how much I will pay for a setting that I'm just using for inspiration.
I would love to see more guides about how to adapt a setting, a lot of different takes on similar cultures of elves, dwarves, how to make good cat people feel unique. Things that make it easier to grab an elf, tweak their culture, grab a cool existing system from somewhere else bam now you have the magitek steampunk elves.
So I broke down and bought the entire DFRPG Gaming Balllistic Nordland bundle.in digital format. There was a sale for 13% of I think. Anyway, the production values look really good. I started only to get the monsters/npc book, but figured I might as well go all in. Hopefully it won't be too hard to use with non-Viking D&D style settings. Right now I'm leaning toward using the Forgotten Realms setting - Swordcoast.

Anyway if Gaming Balllistic ever expands the setting to encompass a wider variety medieval magic fantasy setting I'll be on board for that. Lots off material to go through but so far I'm impressed!.
restlessgriffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #18
DaosusLeghki

To be honest, it's Viking flavored, not a historically accurate Viking setting. All the technology and religious assumptions from core DFRPG are satisfied, for example. It's very easy to port all the material to another setting, or to downplay the Viking aspect. Replace "Jarl" with "Lord" and so on.

Or, your characters could come from or visit the undefined lands in to the south, which could very well be a homebrew setting.

I think Nordlond is a really good setup for homebrewing. A lot of the base assumptions are set and there are some hard-coded locations to reference. But if you wanted to drop in a town in the Hunted Lands or the Dragon Grounds (or anywhere, really), it won't upset anything.
DaosusLeghki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:29 AM   #19
Baldo

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown

Got this. Please give us more.
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:59 AM   #20
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Especially since we're probably all hoping for different settings. :)

Incidentally, a setting isn't just lore. It's also "what races are available?" and "what gear is available to buy?" and "how do delvers connect with adventures?" Dungeon Fantasy already has an implicit setting, in which "town" is safe and boring and dungeons are rewarding and dangerous. It wouldn't hurt to have some options for fleshing out that implicit setting: here's what you do to make town safe because it's ruled with an iron fist by tyrannical megacorporations, and five random tables for generating Mr. Johnsons and their agendas for the delvers both in and out of dungeons; on the other hand, here's what you do to make town safe because everyone is exhausted by the conflict of a century-long civil war now brought to an uneasy peace, and four random tables for the types of dungeons left behind by that war; here's what you do if town is safe because civilization is advancing across an untamed continent, and six random tables for delvers playing Oregon Trail meets Indiana Jones.

Settings aren't just lore. They are also scenario structures and game structures.

P.S. Man, I wish someone would sell me the settings book I just described. I'm running the Dark Sun + Mr. Johnson version of DFRPG right now (players are currently investigating Uncle Merle's dungeon at the behest of "Mr. Johnson" (Lee), with a hidden agenda from their fixer Lady Aimara to bring back artifacts and documentation connected to a certain five-fold mystic sigil that is my solution for getting them past the sewers and into the actual dungeon). But the other versions sound like enough fun that I would gladly pay $30 to read someone else's random tables and ideas and maybe run DFRPG Oregon Trail or DFRPG After The War in parallel with DFRPG Dark Lands.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote