Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default A Bestiary Approaches for Nordlond and the DFRPG

As of just a few moments ago, I submitted an initial Kickstarter page for review. I’m still a few weeks away from pushing “go,” but I’m actually inching up pretty close to having the first basic installment of the bestiary ready to look at layout.

The first version of this would be a 48-page softcover. Probably have about 60 creatures, including “for a giant X, increase ST to 22 and add Odious Personal Habit (Eats Delvers).” But the major creatures are all meant to have full stat blocks and art, like these from some of my other books. Format will be similar, graphic design will change. Not quite sure how yet.

The trick here is that each one is aimed at having some nice art. Ideally custom art. I need to look at that really hard, because some of these monsters are truly unique, others might be approximated reasonably well with high quality stock art from That Other Game. The fire-breathing Wyvern, for example, from Forest’s End is stock art.

In any case…hopefully Real Soon Now Kickstarter will approve the campaign format, which means I’ll have a box saying “Click here to be notified when the campaign launches.”

And I’d really appreciate it if you did.

https://gamingballistic.com/2021/11/...-and-the-dfrpg
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
Juan

Default Re: A Bestiary Approaches for Nordlond and the DFRPG

I am in.

Sadly, living in Europe makes the hardcover out of question because of feight costs.
If a POD version or a EU friendly arose I would love to get it.

In the past, I have backed PDF books and then, later, bought the POD when available. It is a good way to have both formats while avoiding bankcorrupcy.

About illustrations , they are important In a bestiary as they add fluff and help describing the creature. I would rather get less crits, all of them with a picture, than more pages and having to look elesewhere for a picture of a lot of the monsters.

The alternative names Index is a very nice idea, IMO. It Will be very helpful for newcomers.

I Will pay attention to the KS to add some $ to the cause. Hope It goes very well and we all end up with a great book.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:26 AM   #3
prospero

Looks very promising. Thanks for working so hard to make the bestiary a reality.
prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:10 AM   #4
wen7465

Thank you for your efforts! I like the idea of the custom art. Makes the game unique.
wen7465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
mehrkat

I'm sure I will be supporting this as I've picked up most of your products that use SJ game systems.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
I am in.

Sadly, living in Europe makes the hardcover out of question because of feight costs.
You may be right, but I'd wait until I get better quotes, and know where the books will be printed. My best "hardback" quote to date is out of the EU, in Latvia. From there, I'd likely bring the books to either Amsterdam or Greece, and do international shipping from there.

But we'll see. I have tentative, "worst-case" numbers for what we would need to see stretch goals take off, and they are larger backer counts than anything I've ever done. Not anything GURPS has ever done, though, so it's not crazy...but we're still talking "half the folks in the PDF challenge or 2/3 that backed the original DFRPG Kickstarter."

So we'll see. The ultimate stretch goal is, as they say, a big lift. But one I hope that the community wants to see.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
DouglasCole

The Bestiary KS page has just been accepted!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-enemies-book

Please follow the page if you're thinking about pledging. The more followers I get before launch, the bolder I get with stretch goals
If we hit a large number of followers prior to launch, I'm likely to "go big" and shoot for the full 240+ page hardback as the only goal
Old 11-03-2021, 09:34 PM   #8
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The Bestiary KS page has just been accepted!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-enemies-book

Please follow the page if you're thinking about pledging. The more followers I get before launch, the bolder I get with stretch goals
If we hit a large number of followers prior to launch, I'm likely to "go big" and shoot for the full 240+ page hardback as the only goal
Fingers crossed!
I hope this goes HUGELY
Old 11-04-2021, 02:37 AM   #9
Magic_Octopus

After so many years finally we get a real life actual bestiary Powered by GURPS. So much rejoicing!

I hope many retailers pick up on this, because I consider this book to be the biggest announcements for GURPS since DFRPG. This takes DFRPG a lot closer to want people are asking for as a D&D replacement, and that can serve as a gateway to the wonderful world of GURPS.
Magic_Octopus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:46 AM   #10
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
After so many years finally we get a real life actual bestiary Powered by GURPS. So much rejoicing!

I hope many retailers pick up on this, because I consider this book to be the biggest announcements for GURPS since DFRPG. This takes DFRPG a lot closer to want people are asking for as a D&D replacement, and that can serve as a gateway to the wonderful world of GURPS.
I hope so too. In fact it would be a kindness if folks would bring the campaign to the attention of their FLGSs. Each retail pledge is worth a lot in terms of quantities and that makes a big difference