Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Hearing and Speech

I've a bit of confusion that I'd love y'all's input on, in addition to an advantage I want to build. Hence:

[Confusion]

Subsonic Hearing (Basic Set, pg 89) allows the character to hear sound frequencies under 40 Hz. Erm. Human audible range goes down to 20 Hz. Anyone know why Basic Set assigned 40 Hz as the cutoff point?

Hyperspectral Vision [25] combines Infravision [10] and Ultravision [10] into a single trait while increasing the vision bonus to +3 from +2. I'd count that as Acute Hearing 1 [2]. I'm missing [3]. What bit am I missing to account for those points?

[Advantage]

I want to build Hyperfrequency Hearing. It'd combine Subsonic Hearing [5] and Ultrahearing [5]. Neither offer any hearing bonuses on their own, so I'm torn on offering a bonus for the combined capability. Hyperspectral Vision offers precedent for a bonus, but the advantages that it combines contain innate bonuses already ... but it has bits I'm not catching.

If I don't offer any bonuses, then Hyperfrequency Hearing should cost [10] as the total of its' components ... but Hyperspectral Vision doesn't cost [22] which is the total of its' components, it costs [25].

And, so, thereby ... whatcha got?

[Edit]

And because I forgot the speech part (!), Subsonic Speech costs [5] (if separated from Subsonic Hearing) and Ultrasonic Speech costs [5] (if separated from Ultrahearing), a Hyperfrequency Speech trait would cost ...? Component costs are either [10] (if hearing is bought separately) or [20] (if hearing is included), but, well, Hyperspectral Vision has that bit where it costs more than it should ...

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 07-10-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Hearing and Speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Subsonic Hearing (Basic Set, pg 89) allows the character to hear sound frequencies under 40 Hz. Erm. Human audible range goes down to 20 Hz. Anyone know why Basic Set assigned 40 Hz as the cutoff point?
This is a equal loudness chart:
http://www.duke.edu/~jak21/range.jpg

As you get close to 20Hz the the threshold of hearing gets extremely close to the threshold of pain. What this means is that at 20Hz you can only hear sounds at very close to 120 decibels (most other charts are more generous than the one shown here), much lower and the ear cannot detect them at all, much louder and the motion in the organ of corti will crush receptor cells leading to extraordinary pain and loss or hearing at that frequency. You do have hearing at 20Hz but only barely.

In reality there's no defined meaning for infrahearing so the setting of the line in arbitrary. GURPS sets it allowing a degree of overlap with human hearing. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Hyperspectral Vision [25] combines Infravision [10] and Ultravision [10] into a single trait while increasing the vision bonus to +3 from +2. I'd count that as Acute Hearing 1 [2]. I'm missing [3]. What bit am I missing to account for those points?
The bonus to Forensics, Observation, and Seach is better than Ultravision gives. The bonus to Tracking from Infravision works all the time rather than for one hour. The perfect night vision applies at all times rather than only for beings that emit heat. And of course being able to say, "Don't worry, ma'am, I have HYPERVISION" is worth a perk.

Last edited by lexington; 07-10-2012 at 08:41 PM.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
The bonus to Forensics, Observation, and Seach is better than Ultravision gives. The bonus to Tracking from Infravision works all the time rather than for one hour. The perfect night vision applies at all times rather than only for beings that emit heat. And of course being able to say, "Don't worry, ma'am, I have HYPERVISION" is worth a perk.
Ah, I see. In which case I don't have to take into anything else into account for the traits I want to combine. Works for me!
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
vierasmarius

The text of Infravision implies that it needs to be "switched on" (though presumably as a free action). While Infravision is active, the character cannot see colors. Likewise, a character with both Infravision and Ultravision would need to choose which was active at any given time. With Hyperspectral vision, all three vision modes (Infra, normal, Ultra) are combined into one (hence the higher skill bonus) and are active simultaneously.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Anthony

Hyperspectral vision also includes night vision 9, for situations where visible light really is what you want.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, hearing, metatrait, senses, vision