Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2023, 09:25 AM   #1
Calliban

Default Seeking Advice for a 2D Fighting Game/Beat’em up-Inspired Martial Arts Campaign

I am planning a GURPS Martial Arts campaign inspired by classic 2D fighting games such as Street Fighter and The King of Fighters, alongside Beat 'em Up games like Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and others. The player characters will be martial artists specializing in unarmed combat, adept at swiftly dispatching waves of thugs. They can collaborate to tackle formidable "stage bosses", or engage in individual battles against unique adversaries.

The PCs will have special abilities derived from Exoteric Martial Arts skills and Imbuements, as these rules feel more thematically aligned. However, I wish to steer clear of the Powers system, as it may overshadow Martial Arts and I am not aware of straightforward integration guidelines.

Additionally, I aim to reduce the appeal and availability of firearms in this setting.

Currently, I am considering the Martial Arts, Imbuements, and Action (specifically Heroes, Furious Fists, and Exploits) rulebooks. I am open to suggestions regarding other books, optional rules, or mechanics that could enhance this campaign. Particularly, advice on accelerating battles against numerous minions, or bolstering bosses' resilience when faced with multiple opponents would be greatly appreciated.

Moreover, I am curious about the suitable point range for character creation, especially for characters akin to Guy from Final Fight or Ryu from Street Fighter.

On a related note, I considered the old Street Fighter RPG but found it challenging to adapt to a Virtual Tabletop like FoundryVTT, and recall it being quite slow-paced. Any insights or recommendations would be warmly welcomed!

Tags
action, imbuements, martial artist, video game