Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-23-2023, 06:18 PM   #1
mirtexxan

Default Cost of living and Create Food

Hi, would you allow a reduced cost of living for a Cleric with Create Food?
If not, why?
If yes, why?

Is there any social or practical consideration to be made?

Me and my player have agreed to reduce the cost of living to 100$ per week, assuming that he consumes a nice meal per day in the inn (to avoid social issues, and also to make a more believable character that still enjoys "real" food now and then), and the other two he creates himself.
mirtexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:42 PM   #2
corwyn

Default Re: Cost of living and Create Food

Part of our social contract is that Create Food doesn't taste that good and that when they can they eat real food so I don't reduce it at all. At the same time, their down time often comes at the end of saving whatever city they happen to be in so they often get free room and board. But I don't do a lot of dungeon crawl so ymmv.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:45 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I would definitely allow as complimentary to the Survival or Urban Surivial roll to avoid Starvation.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:44 PM   #4
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtexxan View Post
Hi, would you allow a reduced cost of living for a Cleric with Create Food?
Depends. How much am I veering away from running DF/RPG by the RAW?

RAW:
No. The 150$ is part and parcel with the cost of living in town. The rules spell out how to get by without paying 150$ per week, and Create Food isn't among them.

You can just say that the room and board they're paying for is just that, room and board. He can prefer to eat Created Food, but the bed and breakfast they're staying at doesn't give rebates to skinflint clerics.

Now, might I give them it as a Complimentary Skill as sir_pudding suggests, because even the rules don't always spell out every situation. But the 150$ per week is pretty clear that it's not for anything in specific, it's for "everything and anything", so it's explicitly set-up to stop "but we brought back more than a week's food and water, why do I have to 'pay' to at in town". You pay to eat in town, or you roll versus Survival or Urban Survival.

Veering from RAW:
Do as though wilt shall be the whole of the law. In this case since fresh food costs less, roughly usually half of what preserved food costs, I'd cut their weekly costs by $20 (because it's both pentaphiliac and rounder than 21$).

Last edited by mburr0003; 07-24-2023 at 06:17 PM.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #5
Polkageist

Had a similar discussion with a scout with the 'avoids crowds' disadvantage and so tended to set up a little tent camp outside of town to satisfy that need, and hunt rabbits and collect wild lettuce for food, that sort of thing.

Our conclusion was that the $150/week still applies even when they're gathering their own food and sleeping in a farmer's field or copse of trees because it's covering all the other incidental costs of living. Incidental bits of equipment that need repair or replacement, spares, consumables, and a little somethin' somethin' for the farmer to look the other way regarding the weirdo camping out by the north pasture.

It rather became a fun little aside to justify the $150 expenses against the traits of the character that would seemingly lower the cost. It was fun to figure out that they're leaving a little pile of cash by the farmer's door for their trouble! This cleric of yours, it'd be a good character building question to ask 'You're feeding yourself using Create Food, so if that money isn't being spent on food what is it being spent on?' As a cleric there are tithes, charitable donations, expensive unguents and oils to conduct their prayers, etc.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:45 AM   #6
mirtexxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkageist View Post
Had a similar discussion with a scout with the 'avoids crowds' disadvantage and so tended to set up a little tent camp outside of town to satisfy that need, and hunt rabbits and collect wild lettuce for food, that sort of thing.

Our conclusion was that the $150/week still applies even when they're gathering their own food and sleeping in a farmer's field or copse of trees because it's covering all the other incidental costs of living. Incidental bits of equipment that need repair or replacement, spares, consumables, and a little somethin' somethin' for the farmer to look the other way regarding the weirdo camping out by the north pasture.

It rather became a fun little aside to justify the $150 expenses against the traits of the character that would seemingly lower the cost. It was fun to figure out that they're leaving a little pile of cash by the farmer's door for their trouble! This cleric of yours, it'd be a good character building question to ask 'You're feeding yourself using Create Food, so if that money isn't being spent on food what is it being spent on?' As a cleric there are tithes, charitable donations, expensive unguents and oils to conduct their prayers, etc.
This is a very nice way of looking at this issue.

I propose this ruling:

"Downtime" in the city: abstract $150 per week and roleplay however you like how do you spend them. You obtain no advantages nor disadvantages in any case. You have only the option to forego the sum entirely by using the "raw" options.

"Adventure" in the city. Go day by the day with the level of detail you prefer, as far as you want, but if you choose to do so, there is no "abstract" discount for anything. You must puy separately for each and every object and service.
mirtexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
no dm god

I'm very confused, why not?

Sometimes you have to put the RAW aside when the "rule of common sense" is bigger. In this case, a spell that let you create food from thin air obviously has a noticeable impact on the cost of living considering that food, by RAW, is the biggest expense in a day. I'd say 100$/week is even too high, but acceptable if one good meal per day is included.

Justifying this arbitrary player abuse with "oh, but what about tithes, charitable donations, expensive unguents and oils to conduct your prayers?" would make me pretty mad as a player, since you can use the same argument with every class: A warrior will need to sharpen his sword, clean and polish his armor, then waste more money on training equipment that wear out faster and so on.
At this point you might as well say that the Survival skill doesn't help to reduce the cost for food too, since I literally see no difference between this skill and Create Food.

And as a player, hearing that since I don't spend that money for food I HAVE TO spend that money for the other things mentioned I would expect that since all the other players spend all their money for food and a place to sleep, they are just just surviving in conditions barely suitable for living, with absolutely nothing extra.

Also this is supposed to be a roleplay adventure game, who cares about the RAW of the cost of living, creating a credible and immersive environment is more important, while also I see no need to deny a negligible money advantage to someone that invested points to have that advantage.
no dm god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:24 PM   #8
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by no dm god View Post
Also this is supposed to be a roleplay adventure game, who cares about the RAW of the cost of living, creating a credible and immersive environment is more important, while also I see no need to deny a negligible money advantage to someone that invested points to have that advantage.
This is for DF/RPG. So, therefore, it's per the social contract of playing DF/RPG where 'verisimilitude' is a dirty word and town living is literally abstracted to a few rolls, marking off money, and then heading out to the next dungeon.

If your group does not play that way, cool. But it isn't "arbitrary player abuse" or any other nonsense. There are ways in the rules to avoid the "living in town tax", that's it.

Lastly, food doesn't cost that much, deciding that Create Food will cut your town Living Expenses by a third when even Rations cost less 50$ for a week? That's an abuse of logic.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:55 AM   #9
no dm god

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
This is for DF/RPG. So, therefore, it's per the social contract of playing DF/RPG where 'verisimilitude' is a dirty word and town living is literally abstracted to a few rolls, marking off money, and then heading out to the next dungeon.

If your group does not play that way, cool. But it isn't "arbitrary player abuse" or any other nonsense. There are ways in the rules to avoid the "living in town tax", that's it.

Lastly, food doesn't cost that much, deciding that Create Food will cut your town Living Expenses by a third when even Rations cost less 50$ for a week? That's an abuse of logic.
Then just say "cost of living is an abstraction and create food is not on the list of things that by RAW helps you with it". And it's fine. But creating excuses to justify it is just gonna make people mad, because there is no logic in not giving a little cut to the expenses (maybe 50$ is too much after all, ok, but like a symbolic -20$ just to feel the player rewarded, it would not break the campaign) considering that food is part of the expenses and this spell literally creates free food.

I repeat: the only real argument against it is "it's not in the RAW", everything else is nonsense. And there's nothing wrong in just accepting the abstraction as is it and move on.
HOWEVER, the moment you wanna ARGUE IT and start making excuses like "it does work, and you don't pay for your food, but when you use the spell during the downtime, all the other expenses magically raise, so you pay the same thing as everyone else" I AM gonna call it arbitrary player abuse, because you are arbitrairly raising the cost of living of his character just to not give him those few $ that will change absolutely nothing in the game, creating a feeling that players choises don't matter: the DM can just alter the reality to make them irrelevant just because he wants.

Last edited by no dm god; 07-25-2023 at 05:58 AM.
no dm god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:11 PM   #10
sjmdw45

Quote:
... giving a little cut to the expenses (maybe 50$ is too much after all, ok, but like a symbolic -20$ just to feel the player rewarded, it would not break the campaign) considering that food is part of the expenses and this spell literally creates free food.
I'd go this route myself: anyone who doesn't have to buy food due to magic or stockpiled food or daily hunts in the forest or whatever gets a minor discount on cost of living, just as anyone who dwells in the wilderness doesn't have to pay cost of living at all.

A $30 discount sounds fine. (There may be other consequences depending on why you don't need to buy food. In the case of Create Food, "you have to eat blah tasting food regularly" is enough of a consequence IMO.)

If players want more detail I'll calculate town expenses more precisely, but if 7 days of rations costs $42 then earmarking $30 for town food seems a reasonable abstraction.

Quote:
I entirely agree with the bold. Creating new rules as needed is my job as GM.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 07-25-2023 at 04:16 PM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote